Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Portrait of my son
Lens: SMC 30/2.8 Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA 

Okay, I kind of like this one, but I want you guys to rip it apart if that's what it deserves, because I'm trying to learn, so I will thank you for advice, criticism, praise, whatever you got. We were in a restaurant and there was a window with setting sun in front of his forehead, I saw the light and the shadows and grabbed it. I'm not great at post processing either, but the first picture is untouched and the second is my crop, warming, redacting of the background and a few other tweaks that I thought made it better, but did I? You're not going to hurt my feelings, give it to me straight, doc. I can take it.

08-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me dad (and I'm one too), this just isn't a very flattering image of your son. His eyes are not very visible and they are looking downward; the angle of the shot make his head appear like it is bending forward. His mouth is partially open and it seems like we see only his tongue. Are you sure he wasn't feeling ill?

You know, I never offer up photos of loved ones, especially my kids, for critique. They are special enough pictures for me for my not caring what others think. But since you asked. . .

M
08-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did ask. He wasn't ill, we actually had a birthday party for him today and he was having fun, though in sort of a transition. I caught him coming into some light.

I'm wild about my son, but luke warm about my photography, which is why I asked and why I won't be offended by the critique.
08-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An intriguing portrait. Of course the lighting is what inspired you to take the shot, and is what makes it so interesting. It is rather offbeat, because of the pattern of the light, and because of how it works against the subject's expression -- his mouth is an important part of that here, but is left in shadow. The lighting would make more sense for a more pensive expression. I'd prefer a milder crop, only cutting off the left 10% or so of the original and leaving the rest. Were this my shot I can imagine a couple of different directions I might try with PP. One would be B&W, pulling almost everything into black or near-black, making a semi-abstract. The other would be more conventional, balancing out some of the contrasts in his face a bit and perhaps warming it a bit as you have done.

Having said that, I have to try it out to see how I like my ideas in practice.

Name:  9431093211_e7eacab684_c_bw.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  9431093211_e7eacab684_c_2.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  27.1 KB

08-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree that because there is not much color detail in the original, a black and white conversion definitely helps. It's a decent composition, but looks more like an off frame where you captured him with his mouth too open and his eyes too closed. Always best to shoot several frames in a row, then you're bound to get one with the best facial expression. Oh, and watch the odd shape to the shadowing on his forehead.
08-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
As with the other comments, my opinion is that only thing really missing from this photograph is a more engaging facial expression. As a dad with young kids I appreciate that this is much easier said than done and compliment you regardless.
08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's great feedback. I was so impressed with myself for catching that moment where his face came in from the dark to the light that I forgot that the purpose of a portrait is to show the subject in a flattering way. I really appreciate the lesson that I got from all of you on that. It's changed the way that I have approached photographing since then.