Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Thai Temple
Lens: 18-55 Camera: k30 Photo Location: Thai Temple Tampa FL ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F3.5 

PLease give me your honest opinion on this photo, thanks.

08-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In all honesty, the colors are so vivid that it seems artificial - although it may be very accurate. The bright pink, gold roof, and bright white trim all seem too brilliant - but then that blue sky...and the misty white cloud almost looks like light streaming from the sky onto the building.
It's beautiful. It's just SO bright. But that's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing.
08-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your honesty, the structure is pretty bright and colors popped wildly. It drew me to take a picture and i wanted to share woth you guys , thanks .
08-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would use the column to the left of center for the vertical alignment, as the building is leaning to the right.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.
08-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #5

It's very beautiful in a hyper-realistic way. Great subject matter, reminds me of a painting more than a photo. I'd be interested to know the processing that you applied.
08-06-2013, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

1. appears out of focus
2. over processed
3. need to straighten the building out
4. cutoff at the right side bothers me
5. the post looks out of place
6. over exposure
7. bad lighting in general
8. lacking interest in the subject matter
08-06-2013, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
1. appears out of focus
2. over processed
3. need to straighten the building out
4. cutoff at the right side bothers me
5. the post looks out of place
6. over exposure
7. bad lighting in general
8. lacking interest in the subject matter

Thanks for your input . I see your points and theyre well taken. Im new to this and i apreciate your feedback .

08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's a cool building & the clouds are wonderful.
I suspect the colours of the building would have been quite adequate on their own for a good picture without cooking the colours. It kind of hurts my eyes. I'd like to see the same photo with just a polarizer to enrich your colours. (Disclaimer; I generally hate very-processed photos...)
Also, composition-wise, while the lamppost is cool (maybe suitable for a photo on its own?) I'd suggest framing a little more to the right. The entrance of the building seems a bit cramped up against the right side of the picture -- the steps run right into it. It might be improved by giving it a little more space (assuming of course that there wasn't some totally distracting thing just out of the frame...)
08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
It's a cool building & the clouds are wonderful.
I suspect the colours of the building would have been quite adequate on their own for a good picture without cooking the colours. It kind of hurts my eyes. I'd like to see the same photo with just a polarizer to enrich your colours. (Disclaimer; I generally hate very-processed photos...)
Also, composition-wise, while the lamppost is cool (maybe suitable for a photo on its own?) I'd suggest framing a little more to the right. The entrance of the building seems a bit cramped up against the right side of the picture -- the steps run right into it. It might be improved by giving it a little more space (assuming of course that there wasn't some totally distracting thing just out of the frame...)

Thanks for the sujggestions, i will keep this in mind for the next time.
08-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

this picture grabbed me right away. I love the colors. Some people have mentioned using tilt shift or framing to make the building upright but honestly I think it looks more interesting this way. Plus a lot of the picture might have been changed otherwise.
08-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
this picture grabbed me right away. I love the colors. Some people have mentioned using tilt shift or framing to make the building upright but honestly I think it looks more interesting this way. Plus a lot of the picture might have been changed otherwise.
Thanks for the comment , ill be going back to temoplre soon and I'd like to bring my tripod and take my time with a more shots
10-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

The colors seem to be a bit over saturated to my taste, I would be easier on post processing - there are also some halos visible around golden bird on a pole. The bird pole slightly distracts and makes me wanting to fix the perspective - I would try to have the pole vertical during composition or in post processing, or exclude it at all - probably the best idea. Was it taken at 18mm? Most zoom lenses give maxim distortions at their shortest extremity. Having 18-55mm lens I would walk back and take this shot at 24mm and f8 - this would give much more sharpness, deeper grip and minimum distortions. F3.5 is the widest open for this lens - the extremity again?.. To be honest here you didn't make the maximum out of your equipment and this beautiful scene, but, hey, we all make mistakes and learn. Not perfect one but actually very good shot.