Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Err, well, this is one way to do bikini.
Camera: D800 

2nd Edit:

In the interest of not displaying my mistakes publicly for wayy too long - that includes discussion on how I've embarrassingly distorted my models in some cases, I've removed the images discussed . Thanks for the critique......very much appreciated.

Edit:

Thanks guys!!
In the interest of not putting unflattering images of my subjects, I have now replaced the image with a more flattering version. Cheers.

Original message:
Hey guys.

So, I've had a few negative reception for this image - all of them from the female crowd, none are photographers. I'd like to see what you think of this image. Feel free to tear it to bits. Also note that the post processing is the first i've done to this effect, which has a less photographic quality to it. I want to know what you feel about it too.

Thanks!!

Last edited by D4rknezz; 08-09-2013 at 09:12 PM.
08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Her face is distorted a bit and it's um not very attractive. She looks like a 50's post card that was printed wrong somehow.
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Her face is distorted a bit and it's um not very attractive. She looks like a 50's post card that was printed wrong somehow.

Thanks @magkelly : This is what everyone has said about the distortion in the face - but no one has been able to explain how it is distorted. I am convinced that I've managed to do something wrong here - but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

About the 50's post card : do you think there is an audience for this? And how is it wrong? I have never seen a "right" one, so its similar to the face distortion, i dont know how to fix either problem.
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everyone makes an unpleasant face now and again. Do you have any other pictures from the shoot? Something with her face away from the edge of the frame? Also, bad makeup, makes weird shading on her face.

08-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

She looks pasted on. Is she? It looks like a parody, not a real attempt...
08-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@kenafein : hehe. I think the issue I have is that I can't see this. Its like, having an accent and not knowing it. I am not sure why its unpleasant - because all I see is a smiling girl. It must be, I have not 1 single person who thinks that this picture flattered the model. Can you elaborate more on the weird shading on the face? All I see is shade resulting from one direction one light strobe...
I do have other pictures from the shoot which I'll post later when I get a chance - but this is the only one I did with this particular photoshop treatment.

@ vonBaloney : Actually, she isnt pasted on - we were at the beach . But the question is, is it a good parody? Is it.....err, artistic?
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
@kenafein : hehe. I think the issue I have is that I can't see this. Its like, having an accent and not knowing it. I am not sure why its unpleasant - because all I see is a smiling girl. It must be, I have not 1 single person who thinks that this picture flattered the model. Can you elaborate more on the weird shading on the face? All I see is shade resulting from one direction one light strobe...
I do have other pictures from the shoot which I'll post later when I get a chance - but this is the only one I did with this particular photoshop treatment.

@ vonBaloney : Actually, she isnt pasted on - we were at the beach . But the question is, is it a good parody? Is it.....err, artistic?
I looked at it zoomed in on my phone at first and thought i saw shading that changed her features, but there is some shadow on the far side of her nose. Looking at it on a monitor I think she has too much makeup on(for a saturated image), and it's simply an unflattering expression, and I agree, too forced. Perhaps you can try a more subdued processing. The saturated look makes the make up even more pronounced. Also, there must be some other shots from the shoot, that you like, why not try one of those? I think the composition is good.

08-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm it looks like you used a Nikon for this shot. Is that correct? If so that may explain it.
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I looked at it zoomed in on my phone at first and thought i saw shading that changed her features, but there is some shadow on the far side of her nose. Looking at it on a monitor I think she has too much makeup on(for a saturated image), and it's simply an unflattering expression, and I agree, too forced. Perhaps you can try a more subdued processing. The saturated look makes the make up even more pronounced. Also, there must be some other shots from the shoot, that you like, why not try one of those? I think the composition is good.
Thanks kenafein,

The reason why I am adamant about finding out whats wrong with this picture is to learn "to see". I take hundreds of pictures a shoot, select 10-20, and then post process them. While i can learn how to take picture better, or post process them better, the selection process is the troubling part. What if I had taken 190 amazing shots, and for some reason I chose 10 troubled shots because I can't see? I am struggling with this - and maybe its the programmer background that needs to logically breakdown things in logical reasons, but I am very mechanical when I choose the images.

I think in the long run, it would improve my skills considerably when I can "see".

But maybe this is just something I wont be able to "see" through one example only - maybe its just something I will have to get a feel for.
08-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Hmm it looks like you used a Nikon for this shot. Is that correct? If so that may explain it.

David - you may have just nailed it.

My pentax's are in the doghouse. Henry's said that it may cost more than a new camera to fix the autofocus of my K5 and k200D.
08-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carved?

Since you asked...
What I see is waaaay overdone HDR or HDR effect. Over-contrasted, oversaturated, etched-in-stone look. The classic maximum separation, edge-sharpened unreal PP treatment with a model who happened to have a slightly uncomfortable look on her face at the moment of exposure. Even the sand and skyline looks unreal.
This treatment might work for a metal building against a turbulent sky in a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie, but for humans, it is just weird.
Even if you don't see it, stay away from the HDR controls.
Or, are you joking? Is this a test?
Ron
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

First, I like the image. I think I know what people find unflattering, though.

Her nose really stands out against its background, which is actually its own shadow. As a result, her nose looks very prominent and large - larger than we probably would like it to look. Ideally, we would be more drawn to her eyes by the image, but i think we are drawn to the model's nose. After her amazing abs, that is.
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

While i can learn how to take picture better, or post process them better
the selection process is the troubling part.
I broke that sentence int two separate quotes because that's where the art of photography diverges from the science. Art is by far the more difficult of the two to learn.
You can learn the basics of the artistry, but the bulk of it you just have to feel.

As for this picture, I find the PP rather interesting but the model's face is odly disturbing and unpleasant . I can't really say why, I just find it unpleasant.
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@rbefly : Haha. Hi Ron, it is an 'HDR' effect, but I actually did not use HDR software for this. I was hoping to achieve something like....lets see if I can find a good reference. Ok, like, this guy here :

Wenzel Templeton - ? Hobo Holiday

Am i far off?

@fuent104 : Oh. I see....thats really very good description...a nose background being its own shadow. I think you are correct. Now i can't see anything but the nose.

Thanks!
Ps: I am doing injustice to her abs with this one directional soft lighting coming from me. She is a fitness hopeful for a competition next week. Maybe I will share her fitness shots later.
08-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@parallax : This is why i partner with a more creative eye - and she does the initial culling. Sometimes when I see what she culled - I'd argue, but I am beginning to see more and more of the wisdom of her instincts. Though I do want some of that myself though.
Closed Thread