Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Sunset Seattle WA 55mm 1.8 Critique please.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376166686.603916.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  143.6 KB

08-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm....interesting shot with quite a bit of potential. I like the general composition but I get the feeling that the photo is somewhat muted compared to what you saw when you took it. It just seems a bit dull and listless at the moment.

If I were playing with it the first thing I'd do is clone out the lone bird in the sky as it's just a distraction. Then I would play with the tones/luminance/contrast and saturation levels to try and get the colours to 'pop' more.
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Agreed. I also think it's great composition, although I think it would be perfect without the boats in the middle. Although probably can't be helped.
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here's one without the boats. Saturation and contrast are tweaked.

08-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On my screen, quality has degraded tremendously in your tweaked shot. Also, I can see too many pixel blocks where you removed the boats.
08-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
I didn't remove them, this is a different photo.

08-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Agree with what everyone said so far. When i first looked at the original shot i thought the image quality looked a tad low, though with the 2nd shot it seems really bad. Did you use alot of compression to lower the file sizes? perhaps its wherever the files are hosted is the problem.
08-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You haven't given the exif data for these shots. I imagine they are both underexposed. The darks are lacking detail, when you try to brighten things up there isn't any data and the jpeg artifacts really show up. I don't know if you compressed them when you uploaded, that wouldn't help, try saving the jpegs at 100% and uploading them. The first one there isn't enough detail in the boats to make it interesting. The sky is better though. The second one has been brightened up throughout which has washed out the sky and revealed the artifacts although the boats have some detail and are more interesting. If you masked the boats and brought the sky down and really reduced the jpeg artifacts it might be closer to what you saw. Was the original file a RAW file or a jpeg? If a RAW file there is probably some more you could pull out, if a jpeg you're out of luck. I did a quick edit on the second one to get some color in the sky and tried to hammer down the artifacts as best I could with the screen capture to show what I mean. Certainly not great by any means just a demonstration of what I was getting at.
alternative edit of photo by captmorgan23 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg

08-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think its how I output them and also how I uploaded them. Yes I have the RAW file. Your edit is great. What is the best workflow for output for a site such as this, and what is the best way to upload...flicker?