Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Sunset over the Baltic Sea

Hello!

I have been interested in photography for a couple of years now, and I consider myself a well-seasoned amateur. I know plenty about technique and I can also tell what makes one picture better than another - except when it comes to my own... I have a very hard time assessing my own work, and I feel like it is possibly not up to par with my expectations.

And this is why I am here now! I am hoping you guys could help me out evaluating this picture. It is one of the pictures I feel has the most potential out of the bunch I took during my holiday this summer.

What I am looking for is mostly opinions on how the composition could be improved. I realize the weather could have been better (it always can... ), but aside from that I'm not sure what the image is missing.By the way, the reason as to why I decided to wander off from the trusty rule of thirds was because the sky and the ocean left to what's included here was very bland, and the negative space was too much for my liking. I'm not sure if I actually would have panned more to the left, even if the sky was more exciting over there, to be perfectly honest. I would love to hear your opinions on this specifically as well!

So, finally to the image:

Thanks in advance fellow Pentaxians!

(For those of you wondering, the picture was taken on the northern coast of Poland, outside Kolobrrzeg! )

Edit: Forgot to write about the equipment: This was taken with the Pentax K-r and a Samsung 12-24 F4 lens (it's the pentax lens only rebranded), and of course a tripod!

Last edited by Haselberg; 08-14-2013 at 02:48 PM.
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice... i
08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very nice... i
Thanks, but what do you mean with "i"? Did the message not get posted properly?
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Haselberg Quote
That was 10 minutes ago... you think I can remember that far? I was going to ask if that was the Polish version of Stonehenge, then I thought I didn't know if they were even rocks, then I thought "it would have been nice even without the stones", Then I just decided to erase the whole comment except the "nice part" but I obviously missed a part, namely the "i" in "is"... aren't you sorry you asked?

08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
That was 10 minutes ago... you think I can remember that far? I was going to ask if that was the Polish version of Stonehenge, then I thought I didn't know if they were even rocks, then I thought "it would have been nice even without the stones", Then I just decided to erase the whole comment except the "nice part" but I obviously missed a part, namely the "i" in "is"... aren't you sorry you asked?
Haha nope, it would bug me forever if I wouldn't find out... I need some sleep tonight, mind you!

They are actually old wooden logs. I'm not sure what their function are (or were), but these lines were distributed with about 20 meters of spacing between them on the entire beach!
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Haha nope, it would bug me forever if I wouldn't find out... I need some sleep tonight, mind you!

They are actually old wooden logs. I'm not sure what their function are (or were), but these lines were distributed with about 20 meters of spacing between them on the entire beach!
Possibly to help keep the sand from washing away?
08-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Possibly to help keep the sand from washing away?
Possibly!

08-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thats a really great photo. Much brighter and more vibrant than I would normally like in a landscape photo, but it definitely works.

The horizon is nice and straight, the photo follows classic compositional rules, has some leading lines and diagonals, crisp and sharp details, beautiful colours, everything is nice and in-focus, good use of long exposure time, tripod, and wide angle..

Honestly, the only critique I might give is that the little green moss on the poles towards the centre of the photos is a little too bright green? Seems unnatural, usually algae like that is darker, not as vibrant, and doesn't "pop" so much. But on the other hand, it doesnt really seem very out of place, because the rest of the photo is also pretty vibrant and happy

You say something is "missing" - it might be just that the photo doesnt have a central subject. There is no person in there or anything like that. I dont find that to really be a problem, but some people expect photos to have "action" or beautiful people in there. Or at least an unusual animal, object. Aside from taking a model with you to that location and redoing the photo, there isnt much you can do about it. Keep in mind also that a lot of people enjoy serene photos without a central subject. I guess you can try bringing a bikini-clad model who juggles apples and oranges in the foreground, see if that improves the photo

I bet this photo would look great as a nice big print, poster size. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
08-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A nice beach scene. I like the dragged shutter, the POV and sharpness. A few thoughts on the image. I would agree with the above post about the green algae being rather electric green especially given the lighting. I don't know if you had an intent with the processing here. Personally I find it unnaturally bright and washed out. It has lost some of the color in the sky and it reduces the detail of the moving water running back off the beach. I would rework the pp to reveal the details in the beach and water and get some color back in the sky. The subject is the beach, water and line of posts. I feel the sky has a dead space in the upper left, devoid of clouds and interest and might crop a bit off. I did a quick edit to show what I mean, just my 2 cents.
alternative edit of photo by haselberg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
08-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
A nice beach scene. I like the dragged shutter, the POV and sharpness. A few thoughts on the image. I would agree with the above post about the green algae being rather electric green especially given the lighting. I don't know if you had an intent with the processing here. Personally I find it unnaturally bright and washed out. It has lost some of the color in the sky and it reduces the detail of the moving water running back off the beach. I would rework the pp to reveal the details in the beach and water and get some color back in the sky. The subject is the beach, water and line of posts. I feel the sky has a dead space in the upper left, devoid of clouds and interest and might crop a bit off. I did a quick edit to show what I mean, just my 2 cents.
alternative edit of photo by haselberg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
Thanks a bunch for the tips! I can definitely see what you're saying. Will check it out later today!
08-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shot ! I find it too bright though and would haved used a +1 ND. Composition is good , but would have moved right and higher. Overall , a great shot though , I like it.