Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A Before and After
Lens: SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4 Camera: Pentax K-x ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2 

Hello. I've posted a copy of this image once before, and I've been trying to play around a bit with it doing some black and white conversion, and post processing (added eyes from a different photo. I'm really sorta new to that aspect of post processing, and I'd like some opinions on it, and the B&W conversion thanks!

Before:

After:

08-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You did a really nice job with the eyes and the B&W conversion. I really like the crop as well. Nicely done.

Tim
08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you!
08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice casual photo of the two. The b&w treatment removes the distraction of the many colors. It's great what you can do with software these days like swapping the eyes. I do find the b&w conversion quite contrasty with the blacks blocked up the the highlights in the girls hair blown. Lowering the contrast and tweaking the color version you can lower the contrast and reveal more detail. I find the cropping a bit tight for my taste and would loosen it up a bit. I did a quick edit reworking the color image and swapping in the eyes again from the b&w and showing a looser crop. Just my 2 cents.
alternate edit on right of photo by Jamfke | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg

08-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The skin is unflattering in the B&W. The subject may well be unhappy with it.
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Nice casual photo of the two. The b&w treatment removes the distraction of the many colors. It's great what you can do with software these days like swapping the eyes. I do find the b&w conversion quite contrasty with the blacks blocked up the the highlights in the girls hair blown. Lowering the contrast and tweaking the color version you can lower the contrast and reveal more detail. I find the cropping a bit tight for my taste and would loosen it up a bit. I did a quick edit reworking the color image and swapping in the eyes again from the b&w and showing a looser crop. Just my 2 cents.
alternate edit on right of photo by Jamfke | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
Thanks Greg. I see what you're saying. I like your edit. I've been working on another of it too. I'm away from my desktop at the moment. I will post my revision in a little while.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The skin is unflattering in the B&W. The subject may well be unhappy with it.
Thank you. You're right. I was too focused on trying to get the eyes as good as I could to notice mommy's skin. I'll be posting my revision soon. I wasn't too happy with the conversion, or the eyes.
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Okay, here is my latest revision. I like this one much better all around.

08-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamfke Quote
Okay, here is my latest revision. I like this one much better all around.

I agree.
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you tim60.
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

I really like your latest one, cant think of anything negative to say really.
08-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks!
08-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the transplanted eyes look a bit over-sharp compared to the rest of the image; maybe experiment with softening them up just a little? otherwise the most recent version is looking nice. good job.
08-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks! Yes, they still look a bit too sharp. I tried softening them a bit, but I will apply more soon.
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #14

My mind struggles to enjoy the image as a result of the transplanted eyes. I find the second edit is worse in this regard because the distance between the eyes appears to have increased noticeably beyond how they are spaced in the original. Were it my photograph, I would stick to the first crop, retouch the skin as noted above and leave the rest alone. The eyes being closed add to the spontaneity of the moment in my opinion.

My $0.02

Chris
08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks. The eyes were still bothering me too. They were too big in the first attempt, and now they are too far apart. I'll be tinkering with it some more soon.