Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #1

Summer Nights of Chicago
Lens: Rokinon 14mm f2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Chicago, IL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 

Long exposure at night of Cloudgate in Chicago (also known as the "Bean")

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool beans!

Okay, sorry, I've been dying to work that in somewhere, and this was too perfect.

I like the second shot the best. The framing of the buildings in the background is just right. Or maybe the third? Hard to decide. They're all great.

That's quite the sculpture. I know I've seen pictures of it before, but I didn't know where it was. Never been to Chicago myself. It looks kinda scary, actually, like it's about to roll over and squish somebody. Death by great shiny bean.
08-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

You ask for guidance, may I provide what I think.

Firstly, I was in Chicago last year and took a shot of this sculpture however not at night.
I starched my head thinking how can anybody build such a thing. I mean it is so smooth and shiny with no distortions and the scale of it, it is something else.

Now to your pic. I like everything about it except the falling lines the wide angle lens is responsible for. Sometimes they add to a picture but in this case the rounded flowing lines of the sculpture fight the lines a bit I think. I also like the ghostly people images contrasting with the shiny sculpture which gives you the feeling that it is a well visited place without taking away from the subject matter which is the shiny bean. Exposure is good too.

So I set about to do some correction in PS, "Edit-Transform-Skew". and I cropped out a bit of surplus foreground and the right side. That's all.

Again Nice image

Tell me what you think.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:28 AM.
08-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me, Too!

Hello MidwestPentax, Welcome to the Forum!
My first impression was that I liked the photos, especially # 2 and # 3, like scratchpaddy. I admire the slow shutter speed and ghosting of the people. Good exposure, nicely framed, interesting subject.
But Schraubstock nailed it. The tilting lines of the surrounding buildings don't work for me, and upon a second viewing I realized the effect is less on # 2 + 3.
As photographers, we know that WA's are going to produce this effect, we understand why, and many times it fits the scene. But here, the 'Bean' is already producing vertical distortion (in the reflections, that is) and one set of tilting buildings is enough.
Overall, I like the perspective-corrected version best.
JMO,
Ron

08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello MidwestPentax, Welcome to the Forum!
My first impression was that I liked the photos, especially # 2 and # 3, like scratchpaddy. I admire the slow shutter speed and ghosting of the people. Good exposure, nicely framed, interesting subject.
But Schraubstock nailed it. The tilting lines of the surrounding buildings don't work for me, and upon a second viewing I realized the effect is less on # 2 + 3.
As photographers, we know that WA's are going to produce this effect, we understand why, and many times it fits the scene. But here, the 'Bean' is already producing vertical distortion (in the reflections, that is) and one set of tilting buildings is enough.
Overall, I like the perspective-corrected version best.
JMO,
Ron
Thank you so much for your feedback. I wanted to see what someone else would think and see when viewing it for the first time. I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes can't "see" my photos since I was so involved in taking them. I really appreciate your time! I agree and with the WD curves along the edges of the frame. This is a completely new lens to me and this was my first shoot with it.

The lens is a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ... I went back and spoke with the guys at CameraCraft in Rockford, IL and David brought up a great option to fix the curvature in the pics ... adjust it in camera. I'll do this and see what I come up with and post some follow up pictures. Hopefully it can help others with the same lens.

Regarding leading lines and perspective ... this is something I am struggling a bit with when composing the shot. Any hard and fast rules on how to set this up when looking through the viewfinder?

Thanks again for your feedback!
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The bean is such a cool sculpture. Some nice images, looks like it was perfect weather for photography. I wonder how many thousands of photos are taken every day? I like the first one best. I like the straight on view and the movement of the people and their placement. I also like that the foreground people are taking photos in different directions. If it were mine I might straighten the building on the left so it's square and contrasts with the curved ones in the reflections. I might also tweak the contrast and color a bit in the foreground to make it pop a bit. I did an edit to show what I mean. Just my 2 cents.
alternative edit of photo by MidwestPentax | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
08-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

You ask for guidance, may I provide what I think.

Firstly, I was in Chicago last year and took a shot of this sculpture however not at night.
I starched my head thinking how can anybody build such a thing. I mean it is so smooth and shiny with no distortions and the scale of it, it is something else.

Now to your pic. I like everything about it except the falling lines the wide angle lens is responsible for. Sometimes they add to a picture but in this case the rounded flowing lines of the sculpture fight the lines a bit I think. I also like the ghostly people images contrasting with the shiny sculpture which gives you the feeling that it is a well visited place without taking away from the subject matter which is the shiny bean. Exposure is good too.

So I set about to do some correction in PS, "Edit-Transform-Skew". and I cropped out a bit of surplus foreground and the right side. That's all.

Again Nice image

Tell me what you think.

Greetings
Really like the edited version! I was struggling trying to "align" the picture in Aperture, but with not much luck. Funny I should have remembered about editing in PS. After I read this post I played around in PS again and quickly saw what you were able to do. This will be more post production than I care to do, but at least it's something that I couldn't naturally fix while taking the picture. This seems to be a much more simple solution than altering the images in camera.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look and give me feedback. I really REALLY do appreciate it!
08-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MidwestPentax Quote
Really like the edited version! I was struggling trying to "align" the picture in Aperture, but with not much luck. Funny I should have remembered about editing in PS. After I read this post I played around in PS again and quickly saw what you were able to do. This will be more post production than I care to do, but at least it's something that I couldn't naturally fix while taking the picture. This seems to be a much more simple solution than altering the images in camera.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look and give me feedback. I really REALLY do appreciate it!
The pleasure is all mine, I thank you for your comments

Greetings