Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mt Rainier from Reflection Lake
Lens: 15mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Mt Rainier National Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F11 

Had the opportunity to explore the beautiful Northwest United States earlier this month. This is a photograph of Mt. Rainier taken at Reflection Lake in Mt. Rainier National Park. Aside from a blasé sky, there is an aspect of this photo that drives me crazy and which I haven't adequately solved in post processing. Without divulging what I dislike at this point, I would be very appreciative of your general feedback regarding this image. What could I have done to improve the image?

Chris

08-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a really lovely shot, but then again I think I have taken a very similar shot from the same exact spot a couple times prior. It is irresistible. This looks HDR-ish, and if so, it works well. I don't know if I would have changed anything under my control as a photographer, except order in a few clouds for drama! You must have used a camera support, true?

M
08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
You are correct this was taken from a camera support. The composition is five stacked images with the EXIF data of the image with no exposure compensation listed in the details. Some minor adjustments in RAW to increase color saturation.
08-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this photo and would very much like to visit this place in person. As far as problems go I can see two things that might be bothering you. 1 Some purple fringing around the edges of the pin trees and 2 a bluish haze behind the tall pines on the left. Fringing can be fixed quite easily in software and some local colour corrections might be applied as required if indeed either of these is the problem you refer too.

08-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would've guessed a grad filter was involved since the tops of the trees on the right look darker than the bottoms.
I don't think the 'empty' sky hurts it at all. The absence of clouds, 'stuff happening' in the sky, contributes to a cool serene atmosphere.
Very nice pic.
08-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I like this photo and would very much like to visit this place in person. As far as problems go I can see two things that might be bothering you. 1 Some purple fringing around the edges of the pin trees and 2 a bluish haze behind the tall pines on the left. Fringing can be fixed quite easily in software and some local colour corrections might be applied as required if indeed either of these is the problem you refer too.
I didn't notice the purple fringing but thank you for pointing it out. Need to get that fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I would've guessed a grad filter was involved since the tops of the trees on the right look darker than the bottoms.
This is what bothers me. I splurged and purchased a 3 stop Singh-Ray reverse ND grad which by all accounts is an incredible filter. I have not spent a lot time using graduated ND filters so I am still learning how best to use mine. I attempted some local dodging in PSE 11 to lighten up the shadows in the tops of the trees on both the left and right, but couldn't get them as light as I wanted without creating a ghosting and smudgy effect in the trees where the dodging brush had been applied. Any thoughts on technique in camera, in post or software that might work to lighten shadows locally?

Thanks again you all for your feedback!

Chris
08-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all due respect, in light of the complicated comments may I propose a simple alternative?

To my eye (to each her own) very simple PP provides an interesting perspective.

To wit:

1. Crop so that only the mountain on each side of the frame is included and the sky and water are of equal dimension;

2. Brighten the trees immediately below the mountain so that their color is apparent. The color of the trees reflected in the water will also be similar;

3. Simple editing with “Picasa” (Free from [URL="www.filehippo.com"] will quickly accomplish my suggestions.).

08-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CMS Houston Quote
I splurged and purchased a 3 stop Singh-Ray reverse ND grad which by all accounts is an incredible filter. I have not spent a lot time using graduated ND filters so I am still learning how best to use mine.
Maybe you only needed a 2-stop?
And was it hard or soft edge? Might make a difference.
From what I recall from the photo workshop some years ago, we were advised to look at the difference in f-stops between the light part & the dark part, & use a filter that was 1 stop less. So if your sky is 3 stops lighter than your foreground, you use a 2-stop filter. If there's 4 stops difference, you use a 3-stop filter.
Pretty sure that was how it went. I don't use them that often (read, "as often as I should" )
I dunno, does that help...?