Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Mt. Rainier in IR
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Washington State ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F8 

Processing IR/BW images is a skill that I am still trying to master. Your suggestions on how to improve this image is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The processing looks fine, but the problem I see is that it just looks like a high contrast BW picture of a snow covered Mt. Rainier. I wouldn't have guessed it was IR.
Was there snow when it was taken, or is the white on the mountain due to those areas being the hottest areas of an IR photo?
08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I second that. It doesn't look like an IR picture at all. Green foliage is white ( in BW) when shooting IR film and digital cameras modified to shoot IR. So to get a 1/2 second exposure at f8, I take it you put on an IR filter or something?
08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The processing looks fine, but the problem I see is that it just looks like a high contrast BW picture of a snow covered Mt. Rainier. I wouldn't have guessed it was IR.
Was there snow when it was taken, or is the white on the mountain due to those areas being the hottest areas of an IR photo?
I used an IR filter to take this image. There was snow on the mountain. I took another image at f8, 2 seconds. The foliage was whiter. Below is the image taken.

Attached Images

Last edited by jnguyen; 08-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
08-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the problem here is that, DSLRs have a filter over the sensor that filters out IR light. The front of lens filter filters out everything except IR light.
In theory, this would mean that the only light passing through the lens is of wavelengths that can't be recorded by the sensor as they are filtered out by the internal filter. Neither filter is 100% efficient so the front of lens filter lets some visible spectrum light through, and the sensor filter lets some IR light through, so the effect is basically like having a plain red filter.
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
08-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Lightroom ( and perhaps other editors) has a IR preset you can apply that would come closer to the IR look than this example.