Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soap seller
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Marseille- Vieux Port ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F11 

Took this photo of a soap seller at the Vieux Port in Marseille recently.

I like it for a number of reasons, although the harsh midday sun made it a bit challenging, for me anyway. I like the relaxed look on his face, his uniform, and the colour in the flags, in all I'm happy with the composition. It would have been a great it I had caught the whole of the chalk board which from memory had "Made in Marseille" or similar written on it.

Still learning so happy for some feedback.

Attached Images

08-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd agree with the points you make about why you like it. I do have some thoughts about the pp. I find it dark and the WB is off. It looks like a colorful scene but the color is quite flat. Easy to fix. I did a quick edit to show what I mean. I also did a little dodge and burn and a slight vignette and sharpened it a bit too. Posted it here. Just my 2 cents.
alternate edit on right of photo by Esky | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg

Last edited by Gregory_51; 08-30-2013 at 09:41 AM.
08-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah I like what you've done with that. I'm only just starting out and so my PP skills aren't great just yet. Did you use PS to add the dodge and burn? I have LR and PE assume I can do the same? Will have a look when I have time.
08-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a couple of suggestions:

1. overall, the image is a bit underexposed. the challenge is to get the exposure right without blowing out the highlights - which would distract from his face
2. the face i too shadowy... even just bringing up the mids in PS on the JPEG revealed more detail though

once you get the levels up and brighten everything, slightly muting the colour could give it a really nice feel.

i think you could also experiment with a B&W version too. must've been a great trip!

09-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
It is a lovely bright motive and well taken bar a few minor problems, all easily correctable.
I agree with most of the aforementioned suggestions.

I have done what Gregory_51 suggested but additionally thought a tighter crop would enhance the picture. I disagree with the suggestion to try B&W, the seller presents himself in a colourful way and to discard this would be a shame.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:27 AM.
09-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I like the crop and the PP you have applied.

I've learnt a couple of things:
1. I need to do a bit of work on my PP skills
2. My monitor at home probably needs replacing, my first post looks very under exposed at work, not so much at home
Actually make it 3..
3. Very much enjoying the DA* 60-250

I tried the B&W option here, which I don't mind although prefer the colour version. This is the other photo I like here but the expression on this face is not as good as the first IMHO.

Thanks again.