Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
B&W in Toronto

Here are a couple of shots taken early morning outside Osgoode Hall in Toronto. It was pissing rain and quite dreary. The colour RAW images were lacking in a lot of detail and colour so I did a conversion to B&W.

Please just tell me which one works best for you; the first one with the starry headlights or the second one that looks kind of desolate.
Both are taken with the K10D and the 40mm Ltd.

Thanks

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-24-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
03-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My personal feeling is that I like the starry headlights better because the fence on the left has more detail, is more illuminated. I can barely tell it's a fence in the second.
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

my personal feelings, complete opposite :P .... i like the darker spookier feel, the head lights distract you from the feel of the night ..... osgoode hall, queen street between university and bay? :P
03-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends a little on what you wish to achieve, I guess. In the first, the lights are perhaps indeed a little too bright for a night shot if you want it to be 'gloomy'.

(Both are quite cool, by the way. )

03-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This B+W shot has a lot of desolate feelings. It seems to me it captured the essence of a large city, rendering people rather insignificant. Sad and bitter.

I love the feeling there. I often feel that especially on the occasion when I failed my high school exams ...
03-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
my personal feelings, complete opposite :P .... i like the darker spookier feel, the head lights distract you from the feel of the night ..... osgoode hall, queen street between university and bay? :P
Thanks Pete. This view is looking south down University Ave. about 100 feet (or so) north of Queen St. W. I was staying at the Sheraton just around the corner on Queen. The fence is the huge and Gothic looking thing that surrounds Osgoode Hall.
03-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This B+W shot has a lot of desolate feelings. It seems to me it captured the essence of a large city, rendering people rather insignificant. Sad and bitter.

I love the feeling there. I often feel that especially on the occasion when I failed my high school exams ...
Thanks for the comment. It does look pretty gloomy. But that shot was taken in a lull in traffic. Although just after 7:00 am the street was very busy.

03-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Depends a little on what you wish to achieve, I guess. In the first, the lights are perhaps indeed a little too bright for a night shot if you want it to be 'gloomy'.

(Both are quite cool, by the way. )
Thank you very much.
03-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
My personal feeling is that I like the starry headlights better because the fence on the left has more detail, is more illuminated. I can barely tell it's a fence in the second.
Thanks for your comment. You're right, the fence is more visible in the first one.
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Thanks for your comment. You're right, the fence is more visible in the first one.
if you want the fence more visible but like the 2nd photo, just open the raw file (god i hope you shot it in raw) then just blend them together :P

ya it is university .. errr i should know my city better than that, thinking its queen street with the subway station on the right there....... IDIOT!!!!!!! :P
03-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
if you want the fence more visible but like the 2nd photo, just open the raw file (god i hope you shot it in raw) then just blend them together :P

ya it is university .. errr i should know my city better than that, thinking its queen street with the subway station on the right there....... IDIOT!!!!!!! :P
I always shoot in RAW - well, since last summer. I'll give that a try and see if I like it.

(Don't beat yourself up - it's bloody dark out - hard to know where you are. )