Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
That explains the images. It doesn't explain why the shutter speed was so low given the mode that he was in. In most modes, once you pop up the flash it should pick a faster shutter speed. I think we are missing some details of the kit he was using and the sort of photos he was taking just before these (might they have been without flash?)
As I wrote in post #5, the camera was in "Night scene" mode. That particular scene mode picks a slow shutter to catch the ambient light.

Mystery solved.
--Anders.

09-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
As I wrote in post #5, the camera was in "Night scene" mode. That particular scene mode picks a slow shutter to catch the ambient light. Mystery solved. --Anders.
Sorry I missed that. It is not in the EXIF data you can see on this site. And as I haven't used a K30, I wasn't aware of the various scene modes. Night scene would be exactly the wrong one to use when shooting this sort of scene.
09-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Sorry I missed that. It is not in the EXIF data you can see on this site. And as I haven't used a K30, I wasn't aware of the various scene modes. Night scene would be exactly the wrong one to use when shooting this sort of scene.
I'm not sure how it got into night scene. It did flash but as noted above the battery was indeed very low. I set the auto focus to AF.S. Also as suggested I've had my nose in the manual ever since. I've attached the two photos I took just before the three in question. I don't know if that will provide any further info on why the shutter speed was where it was. What I have learned is I need to learn how to use this camera not in the auto mode.
Thank you all for the reply's and info.
Tom
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by munch008 Quote
I'm not sure how it got into night scene. It did flash but as noted above the battery was indeed very low. I set the auto focus to AF.S. Also as suggested I've had my nose in the manual ever since. I've attached the two photos I took just before the three in question. I don't know if that will provide any further info on why the shutter speed was where it was. What I have learned is I need to learn how to use this camera not in the auto mode. Thank you all for the reply's and info. Tom
Thanks Tom. Doesn't help, because these images show the same problem. Did any of the images from the party work out? It might be interesting to see the EXIF data from the last good photo you managed to get.
Aside from knowing the camera, it is also good to preview images every once in a while, and zoom in to see that they worked out. I've often forgotten to reset setting from one shoot to the next, and it was only by chimping that I figured this out in time to fix it on site.

09-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by munch008 Quote
I'm not sure how it got into night scene.
In the fully green "AUTO PICT" mode, it's going to do it's best to choose from macro, portrait, night portrait, moving object, etc...
I have found that being proactive and choosing one of those or even using the semi-auto modes like P or AV give me much more predictable results.

Manual is my default with TAV and P my 2nd and 3rd place depending but those habits evolved after I had my DSLR for a while.
10-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, learn to shoot manual, you will be better off in the end. Also, don't be afraid of high ISO. I've been shooting weddings and I have used ISO 3200 without having problems. I just clean up the noise in Photoshop. Or get a cheap hot shoe flash and bounce it of the walls. If you don't have Photoshop, you could always get paint shop pro.
11-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with this... all of it. Go to manual mode, you will never look back!! A great book to read is Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's a great resource! I don't remember if he gets into flash photography at all or not. but it's a great start.

I agree also with don't be afraid to hike up that ISO. I've shot many church wedding ceremony photos at iso 6400 that were more than useable. It's always better to expose properly even if it means a very high ISo than it is to underexpose to avoid hiking up the ISO and then trying to fix in post processing in my opinion.

QuoteOriginally posted by vimeto Quote
Honestly, learn to shoot manual, you will be better off in the end. Also, don't be afraid of high ISO. I've been shooting weddings and I have used ISO 3200 without having problems. I just clean up the noise in Photoshop. Or get a cheap hot shoe flash and bounce it of the walls. If you don't have Photoshop, you could always get paint shop pro.