Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

All feedback welcome x4 Images

I don't often post so here's a chance for you to get back at me if I ever made the wrong comment about your work.

With the exception of the colour shot, all were post-processed for effects only.
Original was taken with natural lighting using hand-held istD and the FA 50mm.

Thanks
jc

03-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Who would be so petty as to "get back at you" on this forum? Won't happen from me.

#1 the sweater looks nice and bright but the flesh tones look a bit pale or flat. Maybe you could enhance them a bit.

Of the 3 remaining (B&W) shots I would have to say the last one seems to have a nice even tone with decent contrast. I like the brightness of the undershirt and the lighter background. The sepia tone one and the 3rd one just look a bit dull. IMHO

It would have been nice if her earring and her left hand was included in the same DOF as the rest of her face. Maybe stopped down one more f stop would have done it.

She is a pretty girl and has a nice sparkle in her eyes.
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She's a cutie, the only distraction for me is the bright circle in the upper right corner. My favorite is #4.
03-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hmmm, I can't remember if you've ever made a wrong comment on any of my work so you will have to consider this as honest critique rather than payback.

I think the position of the hands looks very staged and unnatural.

Agree with J.Scott that the skin tones in number 1 look very flat.

Of the other 3, the middle one works best for me. I can't put my finger on what it is about the sepia but the last one is a little too bright for my taste.

If someone was being really nitpicky or wanting to get some payback they might say that the hair clip is a distraction.

Cheers,
Mike

03-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Mike, if anyone wanted to get nit-picky, they would be right, the clip is a distraction.

As is the circle on the top-right. Yes it was staged. Unfortunately this was an impromtu thing.

Looking at the results of the shots from that day, I can see I've been so out of the loop for so long. So many many mistakes I made by not paying attention to detail - slap, slap.
03-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

nice shot

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
#1 the sweater looks nice and bright but the flesh tones look a bit pale or flat. Maybe you could enhance them a bit.
JC, She seems pale to me as well.. I like the color pic the best, except for her skin tones.. I was wondering if maybe taking a little red out of the curves might help even it out so she doesn' get the "glare" (for lack of a better word) from her shirt.?

Just a thought...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I think the position of the hands looks very staged and unnatural.
I Agree with Mike, that was my first thought when I looked at the picture.. Her hands look forced... I think the main reason is there is nothing showing that her arm is sitting on.. so maybe a crop at the wrists might help that.

Thanks for sharin!! Kim
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Hi JC,
First of all, regardless of whether the positioning of the hands was staged or not, I just think they shouldn't have been visible at all, I think that is something purely for the older models and detracts from the youthfulness of your model (one hand you may have gotten away with but definitely not two).

Second, the red sweater is just too overpowering and the background bokeh is distracting, you only have to look at the sepia and b&w versions to prove that point.

Third, she (sorry I hate using that word but no choice in this instance) is very photogenic and has beautiful eyes. You could have really cropped that picture even to the extent of cropping the top of her head (so that the hair clip wasn't a further distraction) to really show off her eyes. I'm assuming she is a relative of yours so take some time and do her proud.

I want to like the sepia version but even in that, the sweater is too distracting so I'm going to have to settle for number 3.

Cheers,
Gary

05-06-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't add much more to these comments But if her hands were cupped over a post or piece of furniture, it would be better. I wish the earring was withing the DOF range (small issue though) and of course the skin tone in the colour version but that should be easy to correct. Overall a good shot that could be great with a few minor adjustments.

I really like the B&W conversion with the vignette effect. Makes a great shot.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-06-2008 at 06:36 AM.
05-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional comments - always appreciated.
You're welcome to make adjustments and cropping.

Gary, she's not related but our girls are just as perdy - lol.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 05-06-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling
05-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Here's what I have done with it:

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
08-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I prefer the first one, a very nice photo
08-05-2008, 04:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would love the sepia tone. It shows up nicely with a touch of old memory. The vignetting was done to the perfection. Nice focus of attention.
08-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Forum Member

I love the catch light in her eyes. I don't disagree with any of the other comments given, but don't forget that we look at eyes first and foremost. If you have that "sparkle," much can be forgiven.
08-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #14

Very cute, but flat. The light just isn't working for me. Adding some sort of light somewhere, or having her pose in a different place with different (slightly less even) light would have been ideal, IMHO.

Nice use of the tiny DOF!