Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Kingswood
Lens: Pentax A 50mm F1.7 Camera: *istDS Photo Location: Clayton, Melbourne ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F3.5 

Here's a few pics from the weekend of the new car my partner and I have bought.

it's a 1979 Holden Kingswood, original and unrestored (apart from having had LPG fitted in the mid 90s)

Anyway, critique welcome on the photos.

09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
looks like a nice car, the first two shots I like the most.

As for improvement, there seems to be alot of horizontal lines in the first 2 shots but most are running off. Id be tempted to clone out the white piping and the metal line running above it along with the billboard and that vertical post right above the car and then straighten the hedge so that its running completely horizontal. Those trees might get the axe as well especially the ones in the middle of the shot as they are a bit distracting and take away from the car (perhaps if the background wasnt so much in focus this wouldnt have been the case.)

In the last 2 shots I'd try to bring out some of the detail in that dark background using your software of choice to improve the shot.

Hope that helps.
09-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THanks for the comment.

I'll have a go at cloning out some of the distractions in the first shots.

As for the "hedge" it's actually a grassy berm, which in real life is angled.
If I were to straighten it to be level, the car, factory, and road, would all then be tilted. I felt that leaving it was the lesser evil.
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ha, i know exactly where you took those :P looks like a clean clean machine mate. the original fat-ass!

nice photos, though i do feel there is a lack of punch, and that a lot of detail has been lost to shadow. have you tried pulling some of it back?

09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When your partner asks for the keys, do you respond with "You're not taking the Kingswood!!!". RIP Ted Bullpitt.
Anyway, I don't mind the last two, even if there's a bit too much sky for my liking.

Regards
09-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
"You're not taking the Kingswood!!!". RIP Ted Bullpitt.
That was the first thing that came to my mind, too.

(Sorry that it's meaningless to non-Aussies. )
09-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course she can't take the Kingswood, I just windexed the towbar!

In all seriousness, there's two reasons that there aren't fights over the keys.

1: It's not currently registered, so it can't be driven on the road (for argument's sake the photos aren't on a public road........ jsut don't ask about how it got from my house to there )
2: It's actually her car.

Imaspy, I'll have a go at reducing the black level a bit. I do tend to edit my images a little on the dark side quite often. (it also depends what screen I'm using, the laptop screen looks completely different to the external LCD I use with it)

09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Never use a laptop screen for colour checking!

Im waiting for Gregory to come along and show us his take on these shots compared to what im seeing in my mind.
09-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice photos....I prefer the B+W. Interesting to see where the name "Kingswood' went . The Kingswood moniker was originally used for a full sized Chevy wagon ....in the Canadian and American markets back in the '60's.
09-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MADDSNIPER Quote
Never use a laptop screen for colour checking!

Im waiting for Gregory to come along and show us his take on these shots compared to what im seeing in my mind.

Normally I don't use the laptop screen for editing, I have a separate LCD monitor I plug into the laptop for that.

Also, who's Gregory?
09-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice photos....I prefer the B+W. Interesting to see where the name "Kingswood' went . The Kingswood moniker was originally used for a full sized Chevy wagon ....in the Canadian and American markets back in the '60's.

I've noticed that.
It's a bugger when you're looking up parts and other information and it keeps bringing up the US version!

The Kingswood name was used by GMH from the late 60s to the late 70s to denote their middle range large car. The long wheelbase luxury version was the "statesman" and the bottom end model was the "Belmont" I believe.

The Kingswood was replaced by the smaller "Commodore" in 1979.
09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, Belmont name came with the HK series in 68 or thereabouts. Bench seats, vinyl floor, no heater, three on the tree, 161 ci motor as std. And the long wheel base at that stage was the Brougham. Statesman name came later with the HQ era in circa 72. So range in 68 when Kingswood name was introduced was Belmont, Kingswood, Premier, Brougham.

BTW, have you polished the glovebox yet!
09-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and as for photo critique, the backgrounds are too busy particularly in first two images. That pipe and whiteboard or whatever it is are really badly placed relative to the car.

Back to car now: its an HZ with RTS suspension, yes?
09-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #14

ok this is roughly done, really would need to spend about 3 times as long on this to make it look next to perfect but it should give you the idea:

only tools used are the patch tool and healing tool in photoshop.
Attached Images

09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Southlander:
Yes, it's an RTS HZ.

To be specific:
1979 HZ Kingswood SL (Adelaide factory)
202 red motor
3 speed column manual
"Mojave Beige" paint
Tan interior
APA LPG kit fitted in the mid 1990s

Madsniper:
Thanks for the quick example, it looks good, but I'm not 100% sold on the lack of trees.
The sign and the telephone pole are not missed at all, removing those is a great improvement. But the trees I think helped break up the blandness of the factory behind.

When I get a chance I'll have a go myself and see what I get.