Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sammy
Camera: K-30 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 

This is a 1:1 crop from a photo i took yesterday.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It seems not quite sharp. Maybe a little low-contrast? I can't decide whether I like the fact that the seal blends so much with his surroundings, or whether I think he ought to stand out more.
09-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Heres what I took it from, I wasnt a big fan of the fact he tended to blend in so well with the surroundings myself so I tried to slowly move over to the other side of him to get a shot cutting out the background rocks but alas he had had enough and jumped into the sea. This shot and another similar one of him turned around are the 2 best I got from the day. Something closer than 210mm would have been a help as well I guess.

Ill upload the RAW file in a bit and hopefully some of you guys can offer some alternative takes on what you would do with it.

edit: Raw file:
http://www.2shared.com/file/c93pAZW1/_IGP0828.html
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by MADDSNIPER; 09-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
09-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all the seal is quite underexposed so that's the first thing I fixed in Aperture. Then I used Color Efex from Nik software to enhance the seal a bit and bring the details out. I sharpened it (again with a plug in from Nik) and then I used the dodge, burn, contrast and definition tools (in Aperture) to further enhance the photo. Then I made a different crop because to crop as much as you did and expect the photo to survive is a tall order for me. For you information; you should clean your sensor. I counted five sensor spots in this picture.

Cheers,

Remco

09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, its not perfectly sharp, but I dont think it necessarily has to be. What I really like about this photo (the monochrome crop) is how the seel and the stones in the background seem to fit together. Very similar shapes and colours. That makes this photo, for me, stand out against typical wildlife snapshots.
The softness makes it look like a painting, makes it almost abstract, and it softens the relations between the living animal and the cold stone background. And those big eyes truly bring out the humanity. Its the kind of photo you have to look at for a while, without thinking, and then it touches you.