Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Spectate
Lens: Pentax 50mm 1.8 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Central Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2.8 

09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Nice shot, I find the out of focus leaves at the top left distracting though so id probably give them the axe if possible. Little bit curious what the original colour version looks like..
09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
I shot this in B&W. Sorry...no color original.
09-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, crop out the distracting tree on the left and the out of focus foreground leaves and you've got a great shot.

09-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's too bad you would have to cut so much to get rid of the out-of-focus leaves. I like the framing, including the tree on the left. There are only the 3 blobs at the top that are really distracting. I wonder if you could clone-paint some other leaves over them...?!
I think it's a cute shot. Welcome to the forum
09-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
It's too bad you would have to cut so much to get rid of the out-of-focus leaves. I like the framing, including the tree on the left. There are only the 3 blobs at the top that are really distracting. I wonder if you could clone-paint some other leaves over them...?!
I think it's a cute shot. Welcome to the forum
Yeah, i looked at it cropped and it loses something. im actually fine with the imperfection.

i dont have the software to clone out the blurred leaves.......yet.
09-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FastStone, a free editing software has a clone option built in. You might try that to clone out the leaves.

I too like the composition the way it is now.
09-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have FastStone. So far I've only used it to make contact sheets, as I do editing with PS Elements. But it has a lot of other functions & seems to have good reviews. Check it out

09-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the OOF leaves are a distraction. Cloning them out is the best option as it won't change the composition. Since you only have b&w you're severely limiting yourself shooting as b&w jpeg. Shooting in RAW will give you more options and also allow you to make much better b&w images too. If you want to see what it looks like as a b&w select RAW+jpeg for the mode. That way you can see what it looks like in b&w quickly but you have the RAW file to develop into a good b&w. As for software get PSE it's usually available on sale for $70 or so. It does most of what is needed with lots of help built in to it. It also has a catalog component which allows you to organize and tag images so you can find them later. It really helps when you have thousands of images.
10-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

I enjoy this photograph, however I wish the water were more in focus. Then at least we could be seeing what the subject of the photograph presumably is looking at.
10-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockinghorse Winner Quote
I enjoy this photograph, however I wish the water were more in focus. Then at least we could be seeing what the subject of the photograph presumably is looking at.
could i go back in and add definition or sharpness to accentuate the ripples?

She actually just looking out while her husband is behind the bushes on the left photographing her.
10-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

Original Poster

Here's the untouched original.

I now see the reflections are quite washed out on the remix.
10-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Gregory_51 makes some valid points to shoot colour Raw and take it from there.

My preference; The water is nice as it is. This way we can all ponder and speculate what she is looking at. Adds to the mood of the image.

My variation below. I find it quicker to do a quick edit then trying to explain it in words.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:29 AM.
10-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #14

Original Poster

I tried in Lightroom to get rid of the branch, and i avoided cropping.