Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Jewels
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: K5 Photo Location: studio ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4 

Looking for CC as I'm working on expanding my commercial portfolio.
Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

09-17-2013, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Overall a sharp and well exposed shot.

Here's some tips to make it better:

-Watch the pose. Her leaning is a bit awkward. The position of her hands and right arm also looks like she's forcing her weight there from leaning. The right elbow looks pointed toward you too much. Have her be more relaxed.
-The overall tint to the shot appears on the pink side.
-Watch the hair. It's a little messy on one side, and a little distracting going into her eye.
-Pinpoint catchlights in the center of the pupil aren't ideal.
09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks K-9 for your thoughts!

Your comments are spot on, in particular the pose.
I find posing to be the most difficult element of photographing portraits, it's all in the details!
Most of us spend lots of time learning the technical aspects of photography first, with the posing becoming secondary. I've been shooting for quite awhile, but relatively new to portraiture, and I'm thinking that more time should be spent on this skill set from the beginning.
The tint has been corrected, as since this was taken I have my monitor calibrated with a Spyder. I
t's to late to fix the pose, hair, and catch lights, but these remarks are noted for next time.
09-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sure, no problem. Sometimes, strays of hair sticking out can be cloned out and the catchlights can be enhanced/altered in photoshop or lightroom. Always better to get it right in camera, though. I've had hair ruin so many portraits, I don't even snap the shutter until it's perfect.

09-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Before reading my post, bear in mind I don't do portaits at all, and my taste in portrait photographs tends to be for more natural unposed images over posed studio ones.

For me, I would like to see a little more of the musical instrument.
The fact that it was included tells me that the lady must have some connection to it (I'm assuming she plays that instrument)

Currently it seems a little out of place, it's not prominent enough in frame to be recognized, but included enough to make me wonder why it's there.
Maybe have her hold it up in a similar position to as if it were to be played, or perhaps even a longer shot to include it with her.

The pose, as said above, seems a little forced. She looks a little uncomfortable with the body lean, and the neck lean (it seems un-natural to lean the neck forward while looking up at a camera. If her eyes were directed down towards the guitar it would seem more natural that she was leaning)

As for the technical aspects, it looks great.
background is good, lighting is great (very flattering on the skin, or she might just have really good skin)
I like the choice of stool, the laquered timber compliments her hair and the guitar. (nothing ruins a great shot more than using a scummy old folding chair for the subject)

Overall it's a really nicely done portrait.
Certainly much better than I would be able to do.
09-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks hsk...
I appreciate your comments about he technical side of things. I've been working hard to "see the light".

The model is not a player/musician, so it would have seemed even more awkward for her to assume a playing position.
Her sister however was a musician, and the inclusion of the guitar was designed as a memento/tribute to her. Tragically she is no longer with us, but the model thought it would have been a nice touch.

As an editorial photograph, that fact is certainly lost. So,as per your comment without her assuming the playing postilion, it is indeed not relevant.
I have others from this session, perhaps one of them is a better option.

JD