Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First attempt of Portrait
Lens: 18-55 kit lens Camera: K-x Photo Location: Gardzienice, Poland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 

Hello,

this is my first try of Portrait. I know that the red bushes behind the model are very bad for this photo but i tryed the BW version and i didn't like it.
Photo is cropped a little, and improved with use of histogram.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

Nice shot, great surroundings, looks like Mrs Autumn eventually arrived! Love the coat, although I would probably get rid of the bag I think your model deserves more focus, more sharpness in her look.

Whereabouts in Poland this location is, anywhere south off Lublin? I used to live in Lublin for years. And equally enough important another question: what is the name of your model?
09-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its well-framed, and you used the right settings. You already know about the background - which is often one of the hardest parts of portraiture. The photographer simply focuses on the person, and then notices clashing only after the photo is processed. But its not too problematic in this case.
The thing I would recommend is overexposing the photo a little. Its a common technique, especially when taking photos of women. And another useful tip is to use burst mode. That way you can look at 5 photos that are almost identical, but will have slightly different angle, expression, etc. Its also good in case the person you are taking photos of blinks - with burst mode, you have a better chance. And then simply delete all the other photos, so they dont clutter your hard drive.
09-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Dariusz
About the bag, she wanted to put it away but i wanted her to keep it this way, because otherwise either the hand would be cut, or she would have to pose differently to do something with empty hands.
Gardzienice is a park and ruins about 30km souft from Lublin. Great place for photos, in summer you have a field full of daisys and some sun inside ruins. I also want to go there in winter to see how it looks, but need to wait till broken leg gets better. This session was very hard to me since i cannot crouch or lean any direction.. but it still was fun
About this model.. she is my wife and she is already mad at me that i put her photo in here, so i probably shouldn't give any more information about her :P

@Na Horuk
About the background i know what You mean, in the same session i have a great not posed photo of her keeping a fresh chestnut that just fall, but i didn't notice that behind right half of model is building and other half is trees.. it just doesn't look right, even tho the model smiles and looks great on photo..
I didn't know about this overexposure, I will for sure try it next time, i just don;t know wat should be the efect, what is the aim of this technique?
About burst mode, i know that - a simple blink of an eye can ruin a perfect photo, so i usually take 2-3 photos, just keep the shutter pressed on as long as i need. Often i have moved a little to look from different angles at model, so i usually take a few photos that are very similar even if not in a burst mode.

Thank You both for comments and advices If wife don;t kill me i will probably put some more photos in near future

09-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

i find the background more compelling than the model
09-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but I do not agree and even if I did I wouldn't say so, I think it's plain rude.

Unless I don't get the point of your post, which isn't impossible...

Last edited by mamethot; 09-25-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added second phrase.
09-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi,

A portrait typically is a picture that conveys the personality of the subject.

Here is an example :

TIME’s Best Portraits of 2012 - LightBox

So its a little miscategorized - and the background indeed become a competing subject matter.

Also, please watch your focusing - its sharper on the bag than on her face.
Cheers

09-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but I do not agree and even if I did I wouldn't say so, I think it's plain rude.

Unless I don't get the point of your post, which isn't impossible...
I think its not so bad - its a valid critique - which was solicited by the OP anyway.
09-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

From that perspective, I agree. I don't want to sound harsh, let's change plain rude by "a bit rude" ;-)

Question of perception I guess
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i did cut this photo to delete too much backgroud at the very beginning of work with this photo, the effect is below. As for portrait it probably looks better, because nothing competes with the model, but it looses a lot colors.
Do You think this looks better? or did i cut to much this time??
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
i did cut this photo to delete too much backgroud at the very beginning of work with this photo, the effect is below. As for portrait it probably looks better, because nothing competes with the model, but it looses a lot colors.
Do You think this looks better? or did i cut to much this time??
That looks better to me. You still get plenty of color and background activity with more attention on the model. The red works even to her advantage here than before IMO.
09-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

In my opinion I find the red plant in the background is in an unfortunate position because it is the one strong colour in the background that stands out and therefore interferes with the intend of the framing. To me it looks like as if her head is on fire.

I find the whole composition is wrong.There is too much emphasis paid to the background which should not be the dominant part of the image. It looks to me as if the person just strayed into the framing at the wrong moment when all you wanted was to take a picture of the landscape.

Greetings
09-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one thought could be to slightly desaturate the red plant. Not a massive amount, as it would look unnatural, but just enough so it fades into the background a little more. I would also maybe lighten under her eyes a little.