Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Selective focusing
Lens: fa 24mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bellingham, WA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F8 

I used PhotoShop and Perfect PhotoSuite's selective focusing to process this image. Your thoughts?

Attached Images

09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it's the downsampling for web, but the sky looks weird and unnatural to me. Masts look pretty weird, too. Colors look a little overdone, but that's taste (It also works with this image; Looks almost like a painting!)

I REALLY like content/compisition though!
09-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Maybe it's the downsampling for web, but the sky looks weird and unnatural to me. Masts look pretty weird, too. Colors look a little overdone, but that's taste (It also works with this image; Looks almost like a painting!)

I REALLY like content/compisition though!
I used the oil painting filter in PhotoShop. You are correct about the sky where the mast crosses the clouds. Will try to correct this.
09-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
I used the oil painting filter in PhotoShop. You are correct about the sky where the mast crosses the clouds. Will try to correct this.
Cool! You're miles ahead of anything I've tried to do with the Oil Painting filter... I'd be curious to see the original, too.

09-24-2013, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Cool! You're miles ahead of anything I've tried to do with the Oil Painting filter... I'd be curious to see the original, too.
Here is the original image.
Attached Images

09-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Here is the original image.
This looks awesome! Good luck working out the bugs with the sky-- it'll look really cool when you're done.
09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have fixed the sky, added some vignetting and minor tweaks.

Attached Images

09-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know you're having fun. But if it ain't broke, do fix it. The original is terrific!
09-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One problem I see in the modified image is the selective focus is left/right instead of near/far. If that's the look you want, you'll need to crop it around the actual shape of the boat. What I would do is highlight the boat in LR with the adjustment brush, invert the mask, and dial down the sharpness and clarity.

BTW, I really like your base image. I think the effort to get this one right is worth it.
09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the original image. Not a huge fan of the selective focusing look, just doesn't do anything for me. One possible alternative could be to convert the image to b&w, but leave the boat (and maybe the flag) in color. I played in lightroom for 2 minutes and it looked interesting. Totally different technique, but still draws your attention to the boat. Or you could go for a straight out painting style.

really a very nice shot though!