Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Musician statue
Lens: FA 28-70mm Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: San José, Costa Rica. ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F4 

Hello everybody, please fell free to critize. I would like to do a better photography. I took it with not the better lens I have and it was the night starting. I measured the statue and underexposed 5/3 stops to get almost complete black on the statue !!

Last edited by Jorgario; 05-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.
10-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dark or Too Dark?

Hello Jorgario, welcome to the Forum!
You have a good idea here, but I would have done it differently. After looking through the viewfinder and seeing the lighting situation, especially the dark background, I would have moved to the left, so the light was more behind the statue. In the photo you took, the background is so dark, there's not much separation between the subject and the buildings.
Since the light is coming from the right, moving left would give it 'backlighting' or rimlighting, which increases the separation and makes the photo more dramatic. Maybe not all the way left, a sort of angle between side-and-back lighting, so you would have some contours and modeling.
Other than that, it's a good subject and B + W conversion. I believe 1 stop under-exposed would work OK, but that depends on what you like. Overall, it's too dark for my taste, but changing the light direction might help that.
Ron
10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Jorgario, welcome to the Forum!
You have a good idea here, but I would have done it differently. After looking through the viewfinder and seeing the lighting situation, especially the dark background, I would have moved to the left, so the light was more behind the statue. In the photo you took, the background is so dark, there's not much separation between the subject and the buildings.
Since the light is coming from the right, moving left would give it 'backlighting' or rimlighting, which increases the separation and makes the photo more dramatic. Maybe not all the way left, a sort of angle between side-and-back lighting, so you would have some contours and modeling.
Other than that, it's a good subject and B + W conversion. I believe 1 stop under-exposed would work OK, but that depends on what you like. Overall, it's too dark for my taste, but changing the light direction might help that.
Ron
Thank you Ron, I really appreciate your suggestions. I will re do the photo and repost it again. I ll tried to move around to have a better angle and take it sooner in the night. I will tried only moving 1 stop down. Thanks again. Jorge.
10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi
In addition to the comments by Rbefly I would darken the torso where it's gone sort of grayish for a more uniform look. Also I would perhaps clone out the bright lights of the sign in the background as it competes for attention.
Regards
Greg

10-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I see where you are going with this but either the background or the subject is too dark - take your pick. As it is the subject is lost in the background. It would be stronger with a more defined silhouette.
10-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to Wildman and Gregory for their advice. I will be doing it again and showing you the differences !!