Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flowers in a fountain.
Lens: FA 28 f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: San José, Costa Rica. ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2.8 

Hello, I want to know what do you thing about this picture. I am amateur and I took during a photography course I did recently. The teacher was asking for color saturation. So I measured in the center of the rose and overexpose 2 stops!! Feel free to tell me what is good and what can be better.

Last edited by Jorgario; 05-23-2014 at 09:20 PM.
10-11-2013, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shadows in the foreground and in the center of the background are distracting. Also, the sink does not look level. It's slightly off.
10-11-2013, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
composition wise it actually works for me .. I like the light and the framing ( maybe just tiny bit our of level as previous poster mentioned ) - but these shadows ( of your hands I assume ) are quite distracting.. I imagine it was difficult to sustain the angle and make the shot - but perhaps some light tripod would make it possible without casting too visible shadow ? I would try to repeat that shot using perhaps slightly different angle just to avoid that shadow. Using of flash or other artificial light probably will be impossible as it would ruin the ambient light I imagine...

Thanks for sharing - nice , creative shot !
10-12-2013, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Did your teacher explain to you how oversaturation can be achieved ? I don't think this can be done by simple overexposure. If anything in my experience this would rather wash out colour and blow highlight and once highlights are blown they loose all detail and texture never to be covered. These days colours are saturated to your desired level in post prosessing with the appropriate software.

I too find the two shadows on either side at the front undesirable. So better lighting technique is required.

I also find your image a bit hazy and overall lacking detail and texture and the white balance is off as well.

I used OLONEO PhotEngine to reset the white balance but at the same time attempted to retain some of the warm light. I then tweaked individual colour channels, but to do this on a low quality JPG invites trouble. I also sharpened the image a bit.

I like the creative setup, I only hope you didn't flood the bathroom.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:29 AM.
10-12-2013, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Did your teacher explain to you how oversaturation can be achieved ? I don't think this can be done by simple overexposure. If anything in my experience this would rather wash out colour and blow highlight and once highlights are blown they loose all detail and texture never to be covered. These days colours are saturated to your desired level in post prosessing with the appropriate software.

I too find the two shadows on either side at the front undesirable. So better lighting technique is required.

I also find your image a bit hazy and overall lacking detail and texture and the white balance is off as well.

I used OLONEO PhotEngine to reset the white balance but at the same time attempted to retain some of the warm light. I then tweaked individual colour channels, but to do this on a low quality JPG invites trouble. I also sharpened the image a bit.

I like the creative setup, I only hope you didn't flood the bathroom.

Greetings
I agree that it was a bit hazy, but the next image is now too sharp. There was dreamlike quality to the original.
10-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to every body for suggestions. The shadows are natural filters I put in front out of focus. Those are little ferm leaves (both sides) and little flowers (center). I wanted some idea of a hiding looking through some leaves, perhaps not well established. In my opinion it gives some texture to the picture, but I understand some of you didn't enjoy it.

The sink is not well level and that is something that can be arranged. Two stops of overexposure was probably too much and details and texture are loosed as Schraubstock remarked. The picture you worked has better color saturations but the dreamlike quality was loosed as Batmon said.

Thanks for your councils, sincerely, Jorgario.
10-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

You wanted colour saturation and "dreamlike" ? How so, perhaps I misunderstood.

10-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi

You wanted colour saturation and "dreamlike" ? How so, perhaps I misunderstood.
Hi Schraubstock,

I wanted colour saturation and I luckly got "dreamlike" ambience !!! My original picture is too heavy and Pentaxforum is not allowing me to uploaded, so I upload the compressed facebook image. Perhaps this is playing when you processed with your software ??
10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
so I upload the compressed facebook image. Perhaps this is playing when you processed with your software ??
It is mainly the quality of the PP that differs between an 8, 16 or 32 bits per channel image, the principal of the corrections are still the same.
So what sort of advice were you hoping to receive on this critique section that you would be willing to accept ?

Greetings
10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is mainly the quality of the PP that differs between an 8, 16 or 32 bits per channel image, the principal of the corrections are still the same.
So what sort of advice were you hoping to receive on this critique section that you would be willing to accept ?

Greetings
Hi Schraubstock,

I wanted to have all sort of advices and perhaps I was not telling that I really thank everybody for their advices. I am accepting all of them and learning many new things. For example, that colour saturation is not only obtained with overexposure (correctly done) but with a good knoweldege of post processing (a will be taking a photoshop course on january where I hope to understand that). I also accept that the sink is not level and the natural filter were not very well established.

I also wanted to thank you about the processing you did of my picture. I could saw what you were explaining about colour saturation and about the white balance. Thank you for the time taking to do that. On my ipad, the changes you did to my picture looks terrific !!

On the other hand I want to explain my motivations and the results I got.

Sincerely, Jorge.
10-13-2013, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problems, all is well.

Greetings
10-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum
I like the warm "off" white in the original pic, and the soft focus. They combine to give it an antique-print sort of feel. I'm less bothered by the shadows (maybe you could crop a bit to lessen them) than the little orange blob by the right-side tap.
Yes, it could be straightened a little.
A neat idea.