Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Railyard
Lens: Pentax-A 50mm 2.0 Camera: Pentax K-01 Photo Location: Pittsburgh PA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F11 

Hi Everyone,
First time posting in the critique forum. I've been shooting a lot more lately but feel that my photos are missing that special something so I'm hoping you can help. Here is an example from a railyard in Pittsburgh. I thought this old thing was interesting along with the piles of abandoned debris and the grass growing up in between.

Last edited by millsware; 10-19-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot pic
10-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My first reaction was the large white expanse of sky - can you bring out a bit of detail in this? The plough unit (?) near the camera is tending to vanish out of the frame on the right and maybe should occupy the two thirds rather than the half.
An elevated or lowered position may add a bit of difference and interest too from the view seen at normal eye level.
But you seem to be on the right tracks (sorry about that one),
John
10-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks John,
The plain white sky is definitely detracting, but it was overcast that day, there is no detail to bring out, just shades of gray.

Here is a similar image but shot from a lower angle. There is more white sky, but is this more interesting?

10-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a pain when you get a white sky, hopefully this is a local scene and you can pop along again when the sky has more feature - in fact a setting sun might really suit the subject matter and mood.
I think the lower view is an improvement but as with the first, the subject is heading out the side (and top) of the frame. I think you need to leave a decent working space around the subject, even if you ultimately crop the image a bit.
If you have the kit zoom lens, a wide angle shot would allow a shot that emphasised the power of the machine - the 50mm is effectively a short portrait length in old money.