Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

To me the face should be in focus, eyes, nose, the lot.

It's just distracting to me to see the nose out of focus, and would be equally distracting to have the eyes out.

11-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Different query - what kind of snake is it?
It's a boa constrictor - Boa constrictor imperator. It's a smaller sub species found in Central /northern parts of South America. They usually reach a length of about 2.5m maximum, but some have exceeded 3.7m. I'm hoping this one is going to stay smaller, I have a 12' (3.6m) African Rock Python which is a more slender species, and the weight and size of that snake is almost unmanageable. I can't imagine the weight of a tubby boa at 3.6m!
11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I usually dont like shallow DoF, but jn this case I think it works great. It adds mystery, makes the snake look more dangerous, makes the viewer wonder what he is missing. It works with an animal like that, because it has those sharp eyes and is generally thought of as a dangerous, predatory animal. So yeah, really great shot, amazing that you nailed the focus and framing so well. In this case, a wider DoF might not improve the photo.
11-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Forum Member

I would vote eyes, but I think in this specific shot the out of focus nose is a little distracting. It's a blurry spot right in the middle of the photo. The whole head in focus would have been better.

11-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For this shot I feel that having the nose to eyes (whole head) in focus. This was an active snake - it's head raised and you can even see a small portion of its tongue; it was checking you out. It was as close to an "action"shot you could get with a snake without being a victim

11-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
For this shot I feel that having the nose to eyes (whole head) in focus. This was an active snake - it's head raised and you can even see a small portion of its tongue; it was checking you out. It was as close to an "action"shot you could get with a snake without being a victim
She's never bitten me. Tried a few times just after I got her, had mites and a mild respiratory infection, and she didn't like the treatments involved too much! Now she's healthy and happy, she doesn't even hiss any more. But when she turns that stare on you, you know she's pure predator....
11-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also agree that the entire head should be in focus.