Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shallow depth of field
Lens: Pentax DFA 100mm Macro WR Camera: Pentax K5 IIS Photo Location: UK ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F6.7 

Does having the eyes in focus really work in a shot like this? Most of the head is OOF, and I've seen mentioned a few times that as long as the eyes are in focus it should be OK?

10-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In my opinion having the nose in focus is more important than having the eyes in focus. This isn't a portrait of people where the eyes in focus are standard fare. It looks odd with the nose OOF on animals. Especially snakes where the nose is a prominent feature.

I shoot a lot of lizards and if the nose it out of focus, it goes in the trash. A snake is about the same element as a lizard.
10-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
In my opinion having the nose in focus is more important than having the eyes in focus. This isn't a portrait of people where the eyes in focus are standard fare. It looks odd with the nose OOF on animals. Especially snakes where the nose is a prominent feature.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. Reptiles don't work unless the eye is in focus, so usually I try to get the entire head in focus. Almost every reptile and amphibian I've ever photographed has had remarkable eyes, they are usually the best feature. I do however see your point about the nose making it look odd - but I'm wondering if the angle warrants it.
10-26-2013, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You asked for critigues, I gave you mine. It is only my opinion, but all photos I've seen of snakes the nose is in focus. If you were shooting the eyes only, then it might warrant them in focus, but you've focused head on, on the nose.

10-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm an eye guy. If the eye is fuzzy, it is a tosser. Love this one.

Jack
10-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I go for the eyes on lizards also, but these eyes are half closed. If they eyes are open, then that's another story. IMHO!

Browse the web for any head on shot of snakes and you'll see what I mean:

Like these:
http://www.mister-toad.com/photos/snake/c_constrictor_mi_01.html

Last edited by photolady95; 10-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.
10-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
"I go for the eyes on lizards also, but these eyes are half closed. If they eyes are open, then that's another story. IMHO!"

Snakes can't close their eyes, they do not have eyelids. The eyes have a dark band running through them that merges with the dark stripe on the side of the head, so I can see where they might look half closed, but that is physically impossible. I respect your opinion, I'm merely saying that for me a nose shot is a throwaway if the eyes are OOF, I admire photographers such as David Northcott, who always have the eye as sharpest focus if it is visible in the photograph.

10-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The eye's have it as far as I'm concerned. In any portrait of a critter or a person, the eyes are where you look first and where the deepest connection is. If the eyes are out of focus but the nose is in focus, there had better be a compelling reason for it (just my opinion).

I find it's usually preferable to get both the eyes and nose in focus if possible for a snake and I do find the very out of focus nose a bit of a distraction here. If you were limited to f/6.7 I may have preferred the focus a little more towards the front of the snake as I think there's some interesting tongue action starting that's more interesting than the sides of the back of the head. But the sides of the head are also pretty cool on this snake and frame the eyes nicely. I especially like how the light/dark reflections in the eye line up with the light/dark pattern of the scales and it makes me wonder if it's a deliberately confusing pattern for this species. So hmm... that's probably not much help.
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
Some tongue action for you BrianR! Focus is a bit soft, but it does highlight why I prefer sharp eyes - the focus is in front of the eyes in this one and you lose that piercing stare a bit.
10-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! Snake tongues are awesome! Those eyes are seriously excellent.

The head shot on is for sure more intimate
10-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd go for both nose and eyes. This shot is great - until you notice the nose, and then there is no escaping it.
10-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #12

I agree that the eyes are critical, but at this angle the OOF nose is too much of a distraction for me. I'd like to see the nose and eyes in focus fading into a soft background.

10-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A snake's eye is indeed covered by a transparent immovable scale. But it *can* close its retina when sleeping!
11-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

LOVE the photo .
Personally I'm for the eyes focus as well. Makes the photo more personal. If you would have only the nose in focus, the whole picture will be mostly nothing but blur. Having the eyes in focus makes a better balance and distribution of the blur.

If I would have to comment on something, I would maybe comment on the WB... seems a little off... too much bluish tint!? Maybe you didn't had the right option selected - easy fix though.
Other than that, I think is a well framed and balanced photo. Well done!

Obviously the second photo is even better... still with slightly bluish tint but better .
11-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #15

Different query - what kind of snake is it?