Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Bicentenary french defeat
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Pamplona (Spain) 

I'm a begginer in the photography world so any suggest/critic/comment will be useful to me

10-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some nice photos. In the first one your focus is behind the subject. 2 and 6 you have some distracting objects at the edge of the frame that you could easily crop out(For example the feet). A little bit of fill flash in 1, 3 and 5 would eliminate some of the shadows on the subjects' faces. A nice start and welcome to the forums.
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Pretty good start. I think the composure could be better. For example, photo 3 could have used less sky for the inclusion of the two guy's feet. Photo 1 could have benefited from that as well by including all of the horse. Keep shooting. Can't wait to see more.
10-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For composition, it is generally pleasing to break your composition into thirds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds). The focus points are arranged more or less in the right place for this. Usually the horizon should be close to along the line of the top row of focus points or the bottom row of points, or nowhere in the picture at all. Almost never put the horizon across the middle. Even worse is just off the middle. Of course there are times and places where this doesn't hold, but 80% of the time it will serve you well. If you are taking a picture of the ground, then have the top 1/3 of the picture in sky. If you are taking a picture of the sky, then have only 1/3 of the picture for the ground. You need to move positions and/or change focal length to try to achieve this and get the rest of what you want in the frame.

For your shots, number 1 you need to focus farther down to put the horizon on the top 1/3 line, and back up a little to get all of the horse. Or you could opt for much less of the horse, but only cutting off a little is not great composition
Number 2 is pretty good, well placed vertically, but I think I would have stepped back and used a longer focal length. It would allow the red pot to look bigger. I would also offset it some in the horizontal direction. But like I said, not too bad.
Number 3 is not straight, you cut off the feet, and have too much sky. You probably actually should bend your body to get the camera lower rather than just point it down. The modern buildings in the background are a distraction. Change positions to choose a better background if you can. Turn on horizon correction, and pay attention to the level in the viewfinder.
Similar comments for the last 3: The main subject needs to be either completely in the photo, or you need to be really featuring some specific aspect so that what you did or did not cut off makes sense. The hat in the last shot is a case in point, you have focused on the feather, which is good and interesting, but you should either include a little bit more or a little bit less of the black part of the hat, and don't cut off the left end of the blue feather.

I hope you realize I'm trying to help and not criticize. You did ask for help, so please realize that I'm just trying to point out how they could be better. I certainly make all of these composition mistakes very often. It's easy to lose your head while out photoing, and besides it's much easier to see errors in the photos of others.

One bit of advice I'd give is to join the single in November game, and post one photo to the group every day. The members of the game will give you honest and kind natured help, and you have opportunity to comment on everyone else's photos as well. There are some real masters in that group, and participating has made my own photography improve dramatically.

Last edited by Kozlok; 10-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
10-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
First of all thanks everybody for the comments and critics.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
For composition, it is generally pleasing to break your composition into thirds (Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The focus points are arranged more or less in the right place for this. Usually the horizon should be close to along the line of the top row of focus points or the bottom row of points, or nowhere in the picture at all. Almost never put the horizon across the middle. Even worse is just off the middle. Of course there are times and places where this doesn't hold, but 80% of the time it will serve you well. If you are taking a picture of the ground, then have the top 1/3 of the picture in sky. If you are taking a picture of the sky, then have only 1/3 of the picture for the ground. You need to move positions and/or change focal length to try to achieve this and get the rest of what you want in the frame.

For your shots, number 1 you need to focus farther down to put the horizon on the top 1/3 line, and back up a little to get all of the horse. Or you could opt for much less of the horse, but only cutting off a little is not great composition
Number 2 is pretty good, well placed vertically, but I think I would have stepped back and used a longer focal length. It would allow the red pot to look bigger. I would also offset it some in the horizontal direction. But like I said, not too bad.
Number 3 is not straight, you cut off the feet, and have too much sky. You probably actually should bend your body to get the camera lower rather than just point it down. The modern buildings in the background are a distraction. Change positions to choose a better background if you can. Turn on horizon correction, and pay attention to the level in the viewfinder.
Similar comments for the last 3: The main subject needs to be either completely in the photo, or you need to be really featuring some specific aspect so that what you did or did not cut off makes sense. The hat in the last shot is a case in point, you have focused on the feather, which is good and interesting, but you should either include a little bit more or a little bit less of the black part of the hat, and don't cut off the left end of the blue feather.

I hope you realize I'm trying to help and not criticize. You did ask for help, so please realize that I'm just trying to point out how they could be better. I certainly make all of these composition mistakes very often. It's easy to lose your head while out photoing, and besides it's much easier to see errors in the photos of others.

One bit of advice I'd give is to join the single in November game, and post one photo to the group every day. The members of the game will give you honest and kind natured help, and you have opportunity to comment on everyone else's photos as well. There are some real masters in that group, and participating has made my own photography improve dramatically.
Don't worry, that is what I want to get, some good reviews with honestity. I think that this is the only way I can improve, by realizing what I have done wrong and try to correct those bad habits.

Could you please post the link to the November game? I'm just new with this web/forum and don't know very well where are the things...