Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Landscape photographer of the year entries
Camera: Pentax K-5 

Hi guys,

I'll be entering once again into another photography competition titled 'Fujifilm landscape photographer of the year'.

Australian Photography: Fujifilm X Landscape Photographer of the Year 2013

As usual, I'm having problem deciding which ones to enter with...I'll really appreciate it if you can help me choose. I've narrowed it down to 17 so far, and you're supposed to enter 6. The theme is landscape so it's pretty broad. Some of the HDR might be a little overdone but I can correct that later, the composition matter more.

Here's my portfolio so far and please FAV ones you like or leave a comment which helps me to tally up the scores

competition - a set on Flickr

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by catastrophe; 10-28-2013 at 04:56 AM.
10-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #2

Competition

Some great images that look like another planet having a strange surreal quality. All best wishes for your competition,
Dianne.
I starred my favourites.
10-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for taking the time and choosing! It means a lot to me and I really appreciate it!
10-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll have a look when not in my phone. But I certainly do like your stuff and started following you.

10-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

I think 1, 6, 8, 13, 17, and 18 are stand-outs
10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm Andrew's Wildlife on flickr. I tried to get into the mind of a judge and I think 9, 11, 13, 17 are some of your best options. Considering you probably have some great competition, I am also thinking your sky needs to be very nice as well. One way I looked at it is I only looked at the sky. Like I say, the best photos will leap out at you and I learned that from a local judge with 30 years experience.

It's hard to know what the judges will do so Good Luck!
10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I really like 4284, but I never win contests, so that should probably disqualify it. I'd read about the judges and see if i can figure out what they'd prefer.

10-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Awesome photos
I starred my faves.
Were they all taken with the DA15mm?
10-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you everyone who for taking the time to look through them and comment! That really helped me narrowed down my choices. I'm confident that I can get to the top 10 but I'm aiming for 1st place

As for the lens, yes every one of them was taken with the Pentax 15mm limited. It stays on my camera 90% of the time.
10-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You have got some really good images.
Hard to choose a favourite, but I did like image 5204 best.
The view from under the water fall makes me think how long it's taken you to get to that vantage point and compose the shot.
It also has a fantasy/Sci-fi feel to it...almost like it's another planet.
Likewise with shots 3933 and 6426. They could all serve well as settings for movies and that's what attracted me to them.
However,I'm sure that you stand a good chance with any of the photos.
10-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Also faved the most beautifull shots in my PoV. I also like to add that 6091 (after some straightning) is my favorite.

10-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #12

For what it's worth I think your work is beautiful! Wonderful composition. I've starred my favourites Personally the HDR is a bit strong for me in a few, but I'm not a big HDR fan to begin with, so take that with a grain of salt
10-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
You have got some really good images.
Hard to choose a favourite, but I did like image 5204 best.
The view from under the water fall makes me think how long it's taken you to get to that vantage point and compose the shot.
It also has a fantasy/Sci-fi feel to it...almost like it's another planet.
Likewise with shots 3933 and 6426. They could all serve well as settings for movies and that's what attracted me to them.
However,I'm sure that you stand a good chance with any of the photos.
That waterfall shot is actually behind the waterfall and is really easy to get to. Problem is the spray behind the waterfall, tourists, and the car park being so close....if the car park and people wasn't there, I'll definitely enter this. But it's still a good shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
For what it's worth I think your work is beautiful! Wonderful composition. I've starred my favourites Personally the HDR is a bit strong for me in a few, but I'm not a big HDR fan to begin with, so take that with a grain of salt
Thanks for taking to time to fav the ones you like. As for the HDR, I do agree that some of them are overdone a bit to be eye catchy, but I can always tone them down.
10-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Don't know which ones to pick but in case image 17 (IMGP7012_3_4) is amongst the chosen ones don't submit this the way it is. Reason ? All the trees are leaning to the right, even the ones in the background which will annoy the judges as they also judge pictures on technique. You must straighten them up. (Skew the bottom edge of the picture to the right).

I know it sounds trivial but a good judge will pick this up.

Good luck
Greetings
10-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Don't know which ones to pick but in case image 17 (IMGP7012_3_4) is amongst the chosen ones don't submit this the way it is. Reason ? All the trees are leaning to the right, even the ones in the background which will annoy the judges as they also judge pictures on technique. You must straighten them up. (Skew the bottom edge of the picture to the right).

I know it sounds trivial but a good judge will pick this up.

Good luck
Greetings
Good point, thanks for pointing that out! Could be a lifesaver