Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Mt Ranier National Park - Autumn
Lens: DA 15mm Limited Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Mt Ranier National Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F13.5 

Here is a snap of Mt Ranier that i took a couple weeks ago.
Constructive criticism please

11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice - and it's about to get a fresh foot of snow on it! The mountain itself is a bit too bright, but the reflection is perfectly exposed; I suppose I would PP the top part of the image just to bring back the snowy parts from the edge of blowout. It's great as it stands though.
11-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a pretty picture that I've seen a few hundred times before. Without clouds there is very little drama, so you really have a snapshot--again a pretty one.

M
11-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's hard to make a well known subject stand out from the rest of the images that the viewer has seen before. You really need dramatic lighting, something unusual going on or an angle not commonly seen. As for the image it's sharp and as noted the mountain is washed out, I would do some pp to bring it to about 80% of the reflection. I say about 80% because the reflection is always going to be darker than what it's reflecting. As it stands it's a nice record shot but it doesn't stand out.

11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
It's hard to make a well known subject stand out...
Yep, Rainier from Reflection Lakes is a standard. From a technical perspective, the mountain is overexposed by at least one stop, maybe two. Bracketing and appropriate PP might help. The conventional wisdom is to use a neutral gradient filter to bring down the mountain without overly darkening the reflection.

Steve
11-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

Great location, but these two will improve the shot:

Composition perspective - Maybe find a better foreground that leads into the scene?
Technical perspective - Shoot earlier in the morning where light is more pleasing, and chance of mist and fog. Use a Graduated ND to bring down exposure on the mountain top (very important as it's much brighter than the rest of the scene), If not, use HDR but don't overdo it.

Here's my take of Reflection lakes, I like the foggy effect but when it's clear, it's pretty but boring.

I find Tipsoo lake over in Sunrise a better location as I had much better conditions and better foreground every time I was there.

Last edited by catastrophe; 11-02-2013 at 12:24 AM.
11-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Yes I agree with those saying you should have some clouds or atmospheric effects in the shot... without them it is just a big white triangle in the middle of your image. hehe

Also would say that I'd work on sharpness.. the trees here look very mushy.. F/13.5 ? I'm not familiar with your lens but I'd check for optimal sharpness for that lens and use that f-stop rating... likely it is closer to f/8 I'm guessing.. and you might be compressing the JPG a bit much.

I also probably would have experimented with trying to get closer to the water but pitched the camera at a little more angle upwards to both still keep the reflection in view but also give the whole image a little more drama...

but you really need clouds.. fog.. and either closer to a sunrise or sunset..