Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pollination
Lens: Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Camera: K-x 

I really like this photo but I would like some feedback on it. Thanks.

11-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.
This one is what my longtime-photographer parents would call "busy". There's a whole lot of stuff in it, scattered all over. My eye zigzagged all over the frame. After a while, I did find the bee...
If it's about pollination and the bee, then it probably would be more effective as a close-up. I was going to say it could be less busy with less depth of field, but then I see you are already at 2.5. Hmmm....
The bee seems to be in focus but maybe the problem is that there's too much other stuff in the same plane that is also in focus, like the flower way at the bottom, some on the left, the thing sticking in at the top right... all these things draw your eye away from the subject. If you could find a flower that was farther in front of all the other flowers, so as to throw the surroundings behind, more out of focus, that might help. Also, composition-wise, if you want a wider-angle shot, putting the subject on an intersection of third-lines might help too.
You could try cropping out just a little section around the bee to make a new composition. I'd try a vertical.
I realize all this is easier said than done when you are chasing busy insects & trying to get a shot before they take off. The lighting & exposure looks ok to me. So keep trying!
11-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I appreciate the feedback. I can definitely see how it is very busy. I guess I like it because of how I was able to capture the bee. I'll try cropping it a little and see what happens.
11-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree, very busy picture. Not sure what the focus point should be.