Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

Just a drop
Lens: Sigma 18-250mm at 73mm Camera: K5iis Photo Location: At home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

It has been long before I decide to try this ! And it has been long to get an acceptable shot too... Maybe it's this rainy Sunday that gave me this idea...

If you have already try this kind of shot, let me know how you got the shutter release synchronized with the exact right instant where the drop reach the water surface...

The manual focus was also quite difficult, as the drop is not exactly on the same plan.

Thanks !

PS: the exif data say that I didn't use a flash, but in fact, I did use a flash, on Cactus-v5 triggers. I don't understand why the exif is wrong, as I put the flash in Forced mode on the K5 ? Maybe it is about the built-in flash ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set up a rig with micro watering system tube and tap from an elevated reservoir. This allows control over the drop rate. Then I would allow it to drip and place a paper clip, any wire would do, so the water was dropping on the end. This showed a consistent drop location. This gave me the focus point for manual focus. Then it is a matter of setting the external flash to the right spot for illumination and take multiple shots of the water dripping and select the best ones. Many will be duds. I also worked in a darkened room with a black matte background to eliminate stray reflections and light. It works the same for smoke.

Hope this helps.

Haven't done it for a while. Must get back to that.
11-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good attempt - like it. Always difficult.