Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Moro's castle in San Josť ...
Lens: K SMC 24mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: San Josť, Costa Rica. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F2.8 

Hello Critique forum. I want to see what I can improve with these pictures. The first three of them are the same but with different post-processing. The first one with color, the second one B&W and I wanted to give a high contrast. In the third one I played with the curve tones in order to give it a drawing pencil atmosphere. What do you think ? The last one was taken with DA 35mm f2.4 and I did the post processing in PMB, other than Silkypix ... The thing is that my sensor was dirty when I took the last one and I had some dirty points on the sky, that's why I tourned into black !!

Last edited by Jorgario; 01-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.
11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Hello Jorgario,
to me they all lack in sharpness, contrast and the first one also has a bad color rendition. The pictures are tilted and especially on the first black and white one the modern car and the street light disturb from this old building.
The third and the fourth picture are both not useful at all (at least to me).

Maybe you have a bad copy of the K24/2.8? Did you take them as JPG out of cam or as RAW?

Greetings,
hering
11-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello
A few thoughts. The first two I find to be too dark in the midtones and shadows and loosing detail in the dark areas. The last two I don't care for personally. The color one I find the sky oversaturated. I would suggest that buildings should be corrected for distortion. I did an edit on the first one to show what I mean. Straightened, tweaked tones and saturation. Posted it here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/10919877826/lightbox/
Just my two cents.
Regards
Greg
11-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hello
A few thoughts. The first two I find to be too dark in the midtones and shadows and loosing detail in the dark areas. The last two I don't care for personally. The color one I find the sky oversaturated. I would suggest that buildings should be corrected for distortion. I did an edit on the first one to show what I mean. Straightened, tweaked tones and saturation. Posted it here. Alternate edit of photo by Jorgario | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Just my two cents.
Regards
Greg
Hi Greg, Thanks for your suggestions and the spending time editing my picture. I certainly agree with your valuable comments and I can see the differences ! Perhaps, it is better to take it again ...

11-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hering Quote
Hello Jorgario,
to me they all lack in sharpness, contrast and the first one also has a bad color rendition. The pictures are tilted and especially on the first black and white one the modern car and the street light disturb from this old building.
The third and the fourth picture are both not useful at all (at least to me).

Maybe you have a bad copy of the K24/2.8? Did you take them as JPG out of cam or as RAW?

Greetings,
hering
Hering, I see what you are telling about sharpness. I don't think I have a bad copy, if you read the reviews of the lens K 24mm f2.8, they all agree the lens is not sharp enough a low f's and I certainly did a mistake taking it a f2.8. I made other test during the day and I can tell you that the lens is sharp enough at middles f's. I will took again this picture and show to you. I do not think for what matters that the RAW file is helping (yes, I got the RAW file).