Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Zion National Park – one of five shots
Lens: DA 21 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Utah ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5 

Hello, this is my first thread here. I already introduced myself, but here again some short infos:
I did a bicycle tour around the USA and Canada this summer. Now I am in Toronto working on the pictures. I want to prepare a slideshow, showing the best 200 of about 8000 shots.

I have 5 shots of this beautiful canyon in Zion National Park (actually I had 80 pictures). And I can not decide which of them is the most appealing one since they all have the same subject but each of them is a completely different arrangement.

I would also like to know, if you think the colors or contrast are too strong.

Best regards,
Michael

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I guess some of it would depend on what you want to convey. The location or you at the location. I would think the ones showing you in them would be more compelling for yourself and people who know you. Having said that if it's a slideshow, it might depend on how many you will appear in. You wouldn't want to be in every one. As for my preference I like #2 and #4. I do find them rather contrasty. In the #2 image the sky is washed out compared with the others and the figure is dark and lacking detail. The one of you looking over the valley is framed OK, gives a foreground and background for a sense of depth and scale. The foreground is more interesting and you can see your face as opposed to the first one where the foreground isn't as interesting and we are looking at the back of your head. If I had to pick just one it would be #2. I like the framing and find it the most interesting if the contrasts were reworked. That's a loooong trip, tires me out juts thinking about it.
Regards
Greg
11-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the one walking up the path. It reminds me of my trail hike when I was there (though a different trail).
12-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it depends on whether the slideshow is about your personal adventure and impressions, or more documentary about the places. If the former, you can include some "I was there" shots of yourself, but I find the closeups of you distract from the scenery. You are more in proportion with the scene, in the one walking up the path, but I'm not crazy about the bright patch in the sky. For shots of someone in a landscape, I guess I prefer them to be a little farther from the camera, a little more "in" the scene.
For me the last one best conveys the sense of the wide space & landscape.
Sounds like an awesome trip.
Welcome to the forum

12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Both 2 and 3 are my favorites.

2 because it contains you, and as another mentioned the proportions are great. Shows excellent contrast in the scenery, great detail of the walkway. I don't find the bright spot in the sky to be distracting or too large of a weakness. It's a great photo with great features.

3 because it contains the path in the lower right which brings your eyes all the way into the depths of the terrain (and beyond). The sky is wonderful, and I like the borderline between ridge and sky.

Great adventure and welcome to the forums
12-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with EWST - #2 because we have the path, a subject doing some kind of action (in this case, walking the path) and we have a presumed destination for the traveler in the background. All of these elements tell a story. However, taking these images at this time of day resulted in some very harsh contrast. The image would have been 1000x better had you shot it an hour before/after sunrise or sunset.
#3 because of what EWST said.