Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Moscow, Kazan Cathedral, Nikolskaja str.
Lens: Pentax 18-135 mm Camera: Pentax k-30 Photo Location: Moscow ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F19 

Hello!
Just recently became the proud owner of Pentax K-30. This is one of my first shots. I would like to know the opinion and advice of experienced users. Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Very nice beginning in my opinion. I will leave the technical comments to others, but you have a great camera and lens--and great location to show it all off. New York does not look just like that as appealing as it may be. I love the composition and the Kokoshnikion that building, if I have the term right. What are the dates of those buildings? I'm more familiar with St. Basil"s Cathedral.
David
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just looked it up. Quite a story there...
11-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Jacquot, thank you very much for your interest in my photography. Try the forum to show the city in which I live.
I am wondering whether there is a method to reduce the backlight before the subject?

Kazan Cathedral, consecrated in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God was built on Red Square during the second quarter of the XVII century, in gratitude for the deliverance of Russia from the Polish-Lithuanian invaders in 1612 and in memory of those killed in this war Russian soldiers.

11-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is a very nice photo! Thank you!

Это очень хороший фото! Спасибо! Я amnew для Pentax. У меня есть K-5. Кажется, что это будет хорошая камера, как только я узнаю, как его использовать!
11-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
This is a very nice photo! Thank you!

Это очень хороший фото! Спасибо! Я amnew для Pentax. У меня есть K-5. Кажется, что это будет хорошая камера, как только я узнаю, как его использовать!
Thank you very much for your feedback!
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great image. If I were there, I would experiment with exposure bracketing (hdr) and try to dim the center street lights so that they don't compete for attention. Isn't it fun to have a new camera? congratulations.
12-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #8

Agreed. I think the composition is good (maybe showing a bit more of the building on the left would have been good) and the exposure on the buildings is pretty good. Just the lights in front distract a bit. If you have post processing software maybe just try reducing the highlights.

Also, just watch for pushing the aperture too small. This can cause diffraction and you can lose sharpness.

12-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iam1of2 Quote
What a great image. If I were there, I would experiment with exposure bracketing (hdr) and try to dim the center street lights so that they don't compete for attention. Isn't it fun to have a new camera? congratulations.
Thank you very much! You're right, it lights in the foreground is my "headache". I bought a polarizing filter and at the first opportunity to repeat a photo shoot with HDR and filter.

Last edited by Serx; 12-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.
12-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
If you have post processing software maybe just try reducing the highlights. Also, just watch for pushing the aperture too small. This can cause diffraction and you can lose sharpness.
Thank you for your attention! I was a bit muted glow of lanterns through SILKYPIX, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem of the dominant light lamps
12-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm assuming the cathedral is the building in the foreground?

If so, it needs to be isolated more. the problem with 2 dimensional photographs is that perspectives get changed on a flat plane. night photography, with no shadows, exacerbates this effect.

in my opinion, the dominate building in this picture is the building behind. the better lighting, the imposing dramatic structure, the solid colors all draw attention AWAY from the foreground building.
the streetlights in front and on the left edge, also deflect your eyes to the top of the image.

at the very least, moving 10-15 meters to your left may have helped this. it would also have moved the first streetlights out of a primary spot in the image (right on one of the 1/3 longitudes AND the cathedral corner!) it probably would have helped your metering a little as well and made the right edges not seem as dark.

for me, the perspective is also a little bland. higher or lower might add some drama, and/or finding an anchoring object. the "empty" space at the bottom of the image up to the bench and angling to the left feels "empty" and again pulls the eye away from the subject.

finally, the right edge feels like something is cut off, like I'm missing part of the building.

a final thought, if the whole complex is the cathedral, then the left edge feels like something is cut off as well. additionally, the image itself has not conveyed to me that they are the same structure. they appear to be 2 separate buildings. in which case the storytelling aspect of the image has failed.

keep in mind, I live in America and had never even heard of this building until this image appeared here. therefore if your image is going to educate and entice someone like me, who has no knowledge of your subject, you have to create drama and draw me in without having to know any of the history of the building.

additional suggestions would be to try a 3 or 4 shot panorama, as well as opening your aperture to f11-13 at least. there is quite a bit of diffraction going on in this image, creating a plastic like effect on the stone. f19 is not a good aperture for most lenses and for a consumer level 18-135 it's really pushed it beyond its capacity. if you want longer shutter speeds to remove pedestrian traffic, invest in Neutral Density filters.

Last edited by nomadkng; 12-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.
12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
Nomadkng, thank you very much for the detailed analysis of the image. I take into account the your recommendations when re-shooting the cathedral. Background completely different building. The street is not wide, and if left to shift for 10-15 m get a flat frontal shot without prospects. You are right, the right side of the cut for pedestrians caught in the frame.
02-12-2014, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #13

Original Poster
Greetings! Recently managed to work on the bugs view of the received recommendations of the forum participants:

Last edited by Serx; 02-12-2014 at 11:13 PM.
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahhhh! Now that is beautiful.
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done! Interesting architecture, long exposure is a good choice. I would just frame it slightly more to the left. Hope to see more from your part of the world