Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First time with Macro
Lens: A-50 f2 +TC/Ext Camera: K-30 ISO: 6400 Aperture: F8 

I picked up a rather strange Solignor C/D7 teleconverter/Extension tube combination. Not real sure what i'd do with it, but it sounded interesting. Its basically a 2X teleconverter mashed up with an adjustable extension tube.

Turns out i really like it. Sharpness isn't too terrible, But without the 2x glass in there i have to be nearly right on top what i'm taking a picture of. And with a fish tank, it's not really an option.

PP is minimal, slight color correction, and i sharpened up the duncan a little and the sinularia quite a bit more ( i think i went overboard with it) But the xenia is straight color/temperature only.

no external light, just the lights from the tank. shot through the glass. Tank light's are 4x54W t5HO bulbs.

Shot from a tripod (old velbon) I should've disabled SR, but i think the shutter speed was fast enough it didn't make much difference.

please critique, if they suck, tell me they suck, but tell me what i can try to make them better.

edit: for size reference, the green sinularia on the bottom is a little over an inch tall. The Duncan on the top is about 2 inches wide, and each head on the Xenia is roughly 1/2 an inch wide.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

How about trying something else as a test. The lack of sharpness could be that you're using a teleconverter, then shooting through glass and then water. To me it seems like too many "layers" that interfere with picture quality.

Take a shot of something with the lens itself (not in an aquarium).

Then try again with the teleconverter.

I'm just curious as to the results if you don't mind.
12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The Duncans look good as do the Xenia, The singularia is a bit fuzzy. For me, I found one of the keys is to shoot perpendicular to the glass. Any angle produces distortion. Most people don't get the quirks of shooting an aquarium. I think its a good start.
12-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed, aquarium shooting is really tricky up close in particular.

12-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

One more thing, in PP try boosting the contrast an bit and boost the black just a little. I makes the corals pop!
12-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i'll try that, thanks
these were all shot pretty close to the glass, and pretty close to perpendicular. Room lights off, with just aquarium lights on (for reflection reduction)

@Action Jackson, i'll take some more pictures with the lens and TC separated and see how they come out.