Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
image shot in my first Photoshoot!!
Lens: 18-55mm Kit Lens Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Visionz Studios, Flint Michigan ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 

/IMG]This is one of the FIRST images I shot with my Pantax K-X. This was my FIRST organized photo shoot in a studio. A total of 4 400w monolights triggered by an Impact Power Sync 16 DC Receiver. The model is Tiffany Sade, who was admittingly....GREEN when it came to studio photo shoots. I am looking to grow and learn more in this field. I look forward to any and all CRITIQUES and SUGGESTIONS!! Thanks Pentax Family!!!

Rick Greene
Creative Director @ MozArtisticVisionz

Last edited by Moz Artistic Visionz; 12-04-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add image
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First, I am not a pro. With that out of the way, I think your photo is very good. I think your positioning of lighting works well and your exposure looks great. I believe the detail in the model's face appears too soft. I would get a nice prime lens. You will be blown away with the results. Make sure you use a nice remote shutter. I picked up a wireless for $6 on amazon.

In summary, drop the lens, keep the Kx, the lighting, and the model
12-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just keep shooting models with amazing bodies. your lighting is very nice.
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If I have to critique anything, I would recommend making the light brighter on her face than on her chest. Light directs our eyes to areas of the frame.

12-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the composition also. I'm with everyone else, dump that lens. Get you a prime lens and you're golden. Even a cheap M50 1.7 will blow you away.
12-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

nice photo-that jacket seem a little small would have made the photo in the streets .carwash maybe.
12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

first off - I've never done this studio work before, so my opinion won't matter much. I have, however, seen a few critiques from pros on this type of photography which I think could be helpful to you. I'd suggest finding a photographer who's willing to be your mentor. Or take a class at your local community college. There you can hook up with experienced students and instructors for feedback during and after class. Having a mentor is extremely helpful.

Go on YouTube and do a search for photography portfolio review. Kelbymediagroup has a lot of YouTube videos where pros like Joe McNally (who also has a YouTube Channel) review/critique photos. It's also extremely important to keep looking at other PROFESSIONAL photographer's work to raise your awareness of what makes a great image. Look at the work by Richard Avedon, Herb Ritz, Annie Liebowits and other big names in the fashion world. Do not under any circumstance use Flickr as a source for good imagery or feedback.

As for my opinion on this image, I have a few thoughts:
1) Why use a non-portrait lens, unless you only have the kit lens? Don't confuse converting a 50mm on APS-C camera being equivalent to an 80mm on a FF. You still should use 85-135mm lenses regardless of your format.
2) The clothing doesn't match all that well and it seems a bit, well, cheap; as if she "works the street" for a living. That M.J. Thriller jacket makes the image look dated.
3) Agree with other comments about the lighting on her torso which falls off on her arms. I agree that the light on the torso should be even, but the light on the face should be the brightest area.
4) Probably didn't need to shoot it as f/11 unless you can't control the power or the distance of the lights.
5) Looks like you may have focused on her chest instead of her eyes.
6) Add a back light on her hair and right (camera left) side.
7) The catch light in her eyes is too dim making her eyes look less alive.

12-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
2) The clothing doesn't match all that well and it seems a bit, well, cheap; as if she "works the street" for a living. That M.J. Thriller jacket makes the image look dated.
This is a very subjective opinion, and I disagree with it.

I will add one more comment, though. Makeup and wardrobe, ideally, compliment each other in an image like this. In your image, this isn't happening: her clothing is very colorful, and there is no color in her makeup (eye shadow, lipstick, etc.) As a result, in addition to the lighting issue that has been mentioned above, the element of color in this image is also directing the viewer's attention to your model's body, rather than her face. For most applications, this is probably not the effect you want to achieve.
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like ur photo. Hard to believe this was ur first time in studio cos looks like u know allready what u are doing there...but ok if u say so.

Nice butterfly light. U did reduce shadows just perfectly with fill. Fill could be little more near ur cam anyway but it works fine like this in thus photo but next time try to remember.

Background well lighted. 4th flash on back right gives more 3D feeling. Really good work. Nothing much more to say. U r talented!
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
If I have to critique anything, I would recommend making the light brighter on her face than on her chest. Light directs our eyes to areas of the frame.
Yep, it does...and Otis says that is perfect lighting!

I know you are new here, and don't know Otis, but he says it's a great shot, and that's all that really maters...what Otis thinks! I might agree that the face is a little in need of more light, and just a little sharpening, but then again...I don't argue with Otis.

You are definitely on the right track, and the model is lovely! I appreciate that she is not all cluttered up with tats! She doesn't need anything to draw attention, she has her lovely natural looks!

Best Regards!
Rupert
12-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

My suggestion is to keep it simple and learn to see. You should recognize that there are too many competing colors. So for starters ditch the jacket, have her wear a solid color bra and let your model take all the attention. Next notice the variation in skin tones. By using simple reflectors which you make from paper and/or cloth (a sheet) you can try to even out the lighting on your subject. No need to spend much to buy anything immediately that is suggested here. You can begin with a piece of white paper tacked on a wooden frame e.g. an old picture frame, so you can make it stiff and direct the light from a window or other white light source, over various areas until you "see" what pleases you. Like painting with light. Major areas that cry for attention are under her chin and down her neck, the right side of her cheek and down her belly where the shadow of her jacket causes a problem. Those areas must be evenly illuminated. After repeated efforts you will gradually begin to understand how to control the lighting to its best advantage. You must practice! Don't just jump in! Hope you find this helpful. Good luck.
01-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I thank all of you for your opinions and critiques!! i am constantly LEARNING this craft!! I feel that an ACCOMPLISHED PHOTOGRAPHER knows how to FEEL what they SEE and SEE what they FEEL!! in other words BECOME 1 with what they are SHOOTING!! I will continue to push for growth!!

PS...for the record.....I actually SAW the unbalance in COLORS in regards to her wardrobe....I remember feeling that if I could shoot her and STILL achieve a decent image, I would be successful. I have recently purchased a 50mm f/1.7 lens, a 135mm f/2 lens and an aspherical f/1.4 85mm lens. I look forward to doing more in the studio. Thanks again for your words........
01-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #13

Your copyright notice should be positioned in either the lower right or lower left corners. And the model's name would normally not be part of the image. Copyright notices that are unobtrusive will be much less distracting to the viewer. You do not want their eyes zooming to your copyright notice but rather to the model.
01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I shoot a lot of models (my tumblr page linked below is all model shoots) and this is a great first effort. A few comments (some of which have already been touched on):
- As others have noted, the face is soft. Check your focus points, check your focus. I doubt this is 100% the lens's fault; the 18-55 can get sharper, especially with ample studio lighting. But I think you're going to be thrilled with the results of that new glass.
- I like her pose generally but my direction to her would be to lift her chin slightly. I see this all the time - models who tuck their chin down a little, usually when looking into the camera. Raising the chin just a little accentuates the jaw line, the neck, and generally gives a much more interesting "look" (imo). Also consider having her angle her head slightly, maybe tilt it as well. I would have her cycle through all of these and, when I see what's working, get her to hold that. Similarly squaring up/rotating her shoulders, hips, etc.
- What are you doing in terms of post-processing? I am not a fan of lots of post-processing work but it definitely has it's place. Assuming you're shooting in RAW (you should be), you can go in and adjust lots of this stuff in Lightroom or another tool to, e.g., bring up the eyes, add a little more light to her midsection, touch-up any blemishes, etc.

In general I would say slow down -- look at the shot you're about to take, move your feet to see it from different perspectives, stand on a crate or a chair or kneel down to see it from different angles. If possible find some place with nice natural light and get a good sense of the interplay of light and shadow. It's hard to make studio lighting beautiful, in my opinion (also, I'm no good at it ). Natural light, on the other hand, has a quality I just love. You can learn to reliably produce studio glamour shots with strobes, etc., but learn to shoot natural light and you'll be producing art. (Maybe I'm exaggerating but that's just my $.02.)

Keep shooting!