Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
B&W Still Life
Lens: Sigma DG 70-300mm f4-5.6 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Cafe in Alice Springs ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9.5 

So, I was just casually taking photos testing out some features of my lens and camera, when I came across this photo, which was orginally quite boring. I was just wondering if anyone has any hints on bringing the most out of the photo? I used Silver Efex Pro ot achieve black and white finetuneing after worling in Lightroom.

Thanks in advance, Joshua!

Last edited by Joshua A; 09-16-2014 at 06:46 AM.
12-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Composition. A number of elements detract from this image. The front edge of the table at the bottom. The rear edge of the table which cuts the picture in half. The third object just behind the pot. I would then space the two remaining objects a bit further apart and try to achieve some balance. The little white salt shaker should somehow be made to visually balance the big dark metal cooking pot.
12-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree with Bruce. Looking at your subject not as what they are (a pot and salt shaker in this example) but as shapes, lines, and forms can help with balance and composition. Balance can either be symmetrical (where the two halves of the image are identical like a refection of a mountain) or asymmetrical. An asymmetrical composition is where you have to similar sized shapes that are visually balanced. A huge bolder next to an equally sized car, for example.

The other thing I'd do is add some light on the face of the pot as it's too dark. This can be done with a white card, board, mirror or the like. I noticed that you've got part of the table in shadow. I like how you put the bright salt shaker here where the contrast between light/dark is the strongest. And finally, dust off the table.