Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax P3
Lens: 55 1.4 Camera: k5 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F22 

Hey everyone I would like to know what y'all think of this. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. I like this image however my goal is to always look for better improvements. This is a composite image. Created with a very sturdy tripod and exposing different areas of the subject camera with a giant soft box in multiple (I think 10 exposures). The soft box was feathered facing away from me to accentuate the lines a little but still have a soft light. Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by Scootatheschool1990; 12-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.
12-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Very nice. The only thing that detracts from it is the crazy gold "passed" sticker. I would get rid of it in post. Otherwise, great job.
12-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I too find the sticker distracting, but I would not remove it entirely. There must be some way to make it less of a focal point.

Other than that, this is a sterling product shot.

Steve

BTW...I am a fan of the P3 line. Nice looking cameras.
12-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trojancast Quote
Very nice. The only thing that detracts from it is the crazy gold "passed" sticker. I would get rid of it in post. Otherwise, great job.
Sweet! Thanks!

12-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I too find the sticker distracting, but I would not remove it entirely. There must be some way to make it less of a focal point.

Other than that, this is a sterling product shot.

Steve

BTW...I am a fan of the P3 line. Nice looking cameras.
Cool, thanks.
12-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I agree that the sticker is a little distracting, I'd also say the photo is a bit dark, but it could be my screen. As a big fan of the P series, I like the picture though, it should be in the camera p0rn thread...
12-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I agree that the sticker is a little distracting, I'd also say the photo is a bit dark, but it could be my screen. As a big fan of the P series, I like the picture though, it should be in the camera p0rn thread...
Where's the camera p0rn section?

12-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Where's the camera p0rn section?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...f-you-got.html

-- or --

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/57517-introd...lm-pentax.html

Steve
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First, have you calibrated your monitor? Although many have called the "Passed" sticker distracting, it is part of the camera and harks back to older manufacturing methods. I think the sticker adds to the nostalgic feel of the camera. The camera is blending with the background, so a back light, rim light or some sort of kicker light is needed to define the shape of the subject. This also adds more dimension to the image.
12-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sweet thanks!
12-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
First, have you calibrated your monitor? Although many have called the "Passed" sticker distracting, it is part of the camera and harks back to older manufacturing methods. I think the sticker adds to the nostalgic feel of the camera. The camera is blending with the background, so a back light, rim light or some sort of kicker light is needed to define the shape of the subject. This also adds more dimension to the image.
I hear you on the nostalgia factor, but I'm gathering maybe somewhere in betweenwould look best. Thanks for your critique! Really appreciate it!

Do you have a color calibrated monitor? I'm not making enough to warrant getting one.
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, I use the Spyder 4 and it can make a huge difference in your editing. It's also a must if you make any prints.
12-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Yes, I use the Spyder 4 and it can make a huge difference in your editing. It's also a must if you make any prints.
Yeah, okay. I use Mac ipad and iphone to see if the color is on or off. Not a scientific way, but I want to see how most people will see the image. I'll take a look at the spyder 4
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice looking P3, great shape for the age of it. Either was really taken care of or wasn't used too much. The lighting is nice and dramatic. Maybe a touch dark in the shadows on my monitor (calibrated). The sticker was part of the camera back in the day when they were made in Japan and had the gold sticker proudly displayed. It does compete for attention but I guess it will personal taste on that point. It is a bit blown out and the lettering has washed out. Reworking the pp could fix that. I might do a bit of dodge and burn overall and bring out the lettering on the lens more. I feel the lettering is rather dark which gives a sort of a muddy feel to it, brightening it makes it crisper and cleaner. Lots of ways to approach things like this depending on taste and intent. I did a quick edit to show what I mean with my comments and posted it here. Alternate edit on right of photo by Scootatheschool1990 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cheers
Greg
12-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Nice looking P3, great shape for the age of it. Either was really taken care of or wasn't used too much. The lighting is nice and dramatic. Maybe a touch dark in the shadows on my monitor (calibrated). The sticker was part of the camera back in the day when they were made in Japan and had the gold sticker proudly displayed. It does compete for attention but I guess it will personal taste on that point. It is a bit blown out and the lettering has washed out. Reworking the pp could fix that. I might do a bit of dodge and burn overall and bring out the lettering on the lens more. I feel the lettering is rather dark which gives a sort of a muddy feel to it, brightening it makes it crisper and cleaner. Lots of ways to approach things like this depending on taste and intent. I did a quick edit to show what I mean with my comments and posted it here. Alternate edit on right of photo by Scootatheschool1990 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cheers
Greg
Wow, exactly what i was going for! Thanks! What all did you do? Could you send me the psd of what you did?
Thanks for the reply!