Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latourell Falls
Lens: 14mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: CRG Oregon ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F16 

I edited this using nothing but Luminosity Masks. My Goal is to create images similar to that of Chip Phillips from Photo Cascadia. This image was a rushed process to capture in my camera due to the freezing temperature my feet had to endure in the water, so hopefully that doesn't show. ha ha

Anyway, I'm looking to always better my work and I've found that through constructive criticism from Pentaxians helps me out a LOT. So I'd appreciat it if you would drop a comment even if it's short.

You can find a better quality upload on this link. Add me to facebook if you want to stay in touch.

Attached Images

12-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't touch a thing. It's a masterpiece. I love the echo of the folded rocks in the water flow.
12-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Don't touch a thing. It's a masterpiece. I love the echo of the folded rocks in the water flow.
Thanks my brother! You don't see anything you would touch?
12-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks great, I would personally crop it to about the edge of the bottom rock in the water.
Just to remove that empty bit of white water, and to draw the eye further into the lovely background rocks and moss.

12-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Looks great, I would personally crop it to about the edge of the bottom rock in the water.
Just to remove that empty bit of white water, and to draw the eye further into the lovely background rocks and moss.
O.K. But keep the symmetry with the background
12-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
O.K. But keep the symmetry with the background
Okay, what do you mean by symmetry?
12-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Okay. That's a great tip! Thank you!

12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The same curves, basically in the foreground water as the rock folds in the background. Symmetry. So don't crop too much from the bottom. Try to keep the same shapes - symmetry
01-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Wow! Awesome picture. Maybe a bit more colour for the green grass will draw your eye's attention to it - worth while playing around with it - but keep the original - just in case!
01-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The same curves, basically in the foreground water as the rock folds in the background. Symmetry. So don't crop too much from the bottom. Try to keep the same shapes - symmetry
Yeah, very well! Thank you!
01-06-2014, 03:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinno Quote
Wow! Awesome picture. Maybe a bit more colour for the green grass will draw your eye's attention to it - worth while playing around with it - but keep the original - just in case!
Thanks! I will do that in my next version!
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #12

I think the lens angle and height further increased, the shutter a little slower, streams like the hair even even more beautiful
01-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I googled Chip Phillips to see what you were trying to accomplish.

My critique is the "mush" of the foreground, there's just too much out of focus foreground for my tastes. I see it was shot at f16, so you can't get much smaller an aperture so that leaves you with a couple options:

focus stack for better DOF (multiple images of same exposure with different focal points post processed to bring entire scene in focus)

or step back a couple feet if possible.

another idea that may help, instead of having the camera flat or pointing slightly upward, angle it slightly downward, this actually changes the sensor plane in a manner that allows you to "cheat" and get more depth of field. by tilting the 2 dimensional sensor plane, the distance between objects in the near foreground become equalized. sometimes that's enough with wide angle lenses to get everything in focus.
01-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by linjea Quote
I think the lens angle and height further increased, the shutter a little slower, streams like the hair even even more beautiful
Good call. Thanks! ha ha Nirvana!
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I googled Chip Phillips to see what you were trying to accomplish.

My critique is the "mush" of the foreground, there's just too much out of focus foreground for my tastes. I see it was shot at f16, so you can't get much smaller an aperture so that leaves you with a couple options:

focus stack for better DOF (multiple images of same exposure with different focal points post processed to bring entire scene in focus)

or step back a couple feet if possible.

another idea that may help, instead of having the camera flat or pointing slightly upward, angle it slightly downward, this actually changes the sensor plane in a manner that allows you to "cheat" and get more depth of field. by tilting the 2 dimensional sensor plane, the distance between objects in the near foreground become equalized. sometimes that's enough with wide angle lenses to get everything in focus.
Thank you! I was kinda noticing something was off. I think it does need more detail in the foreground. Thanks for the tip too! I will have to try that out!