Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #1

wait for me!
Lens: 40mm XS Camera: K-5 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4 

Name:  Fountain.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  205.5 KB

you can say anything you want.. dont be too easy on me cause i really want to learn.. thank you so much!cheers!

01-04-2014, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Nice moment, but there are two things I'd point out.

Horizon is crooked, vignetting is a little too drastic (at least for my taste).
Also, the image looks a little soft, underexposed, but that is subjective.

Hope it helps
01-04-2014, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add to Apapukas' comment. The children are perfect. Great moment well caught. Try with your processing software to crop out the pot at the extreme left, and completely remove the bright sign at the top, and straighten the image. If you do it just right, you can even keep one or two of the fountain spray tops. I think that would concentrate more on the two children.

Here's what I think might work (crop is 4x6 format).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-04-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added suggested corrections
01-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
wow.. thank you so much! you are both right.. im going to use them in my future shots.. thanks again!

01-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcirtap198 Quote
wow.. thank you so much! you are both right.. im going to use them in my future shots.. thanks again!
Your are welcome. We all learn from others, and I have learned so much from this forum as I moved to digital.
01-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

in some ways i still prefer the original image.
Has more of an atmosphere, and characters are placed more in thirds.

But agree needs straightening.
I would maybe dim the contrast of the white signs, keep it more in balance with the rest of the background.
This will keep the eye on the fountain and the kids. I like the image though, contrast works well with the dark edges
01-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
Yes the photo needs to be straightened as noted above. The vignetting is too strong as it calls attention to itself. I imagine the vignette you added was to help eliminate the distractions on the edges and focus the viewers attention on the subject which is the two boys. I think a better option is to crop out the distracting elements. It does give information as to the location but I don't think it helps the composition. My choice of crop would be looser than the above one as it crowds the subject into the corner. I also might lower the contrast on the boys and brighten them up a bit to reveal more detail and help draw the viewers eye to them. I did an edit to show what I mean and posted it here.
alternate edit on right of photo by kcirtap198 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Greg