Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
Well, I wouldn't agree. I also took a PrtScr of the left side of the pictures but there are to many rocks which, in my opinion, are "killing" the softness of the blurry and softy water. In the other hand, right side of the picture doesn't have that, and gentle "waterfog" remains and is still strong. And still there is a part of the orange sky in the top of the biggest rock which add a tone more on the picture.
Bottom line, if I had to choose I would shoot the right side. Just like my edit of the pic. :-)
But that leaves nothing to lead your eye back to the large rock in the background. The blurry water isn't the subject. It's just a supporting element, IMHO.

01-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #17

That rock is also on my edit of the picture. So, what do you think is leading the eye back to the large rock?
01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

That rock is also on my edit of the picture. So, what do you think is leading the eye back to the large rock?
The rocks on the left are the leading line. The one on the right serves no purpose.
01-11-2014, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Hank Quote
Similar to you other pic you posted, but completely the opposite :P
Have everything well focused horizontally this time,
but agree its all a bit off centre.

Saying that, it would be a bit impossible, as the yellow in the sky is only on one side.
So i dont know if stepping to the left would help, or just framing it differently.. :/

But love it anyway, think i may have to go visit :P
Yes, please visit. It's a great beach. Thanks for your advice.
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Firstly, you have a nice capture there.

But the extreme purple toning spoils it for me. I can't see how your uncalibrated monitor could possibly be to blame for it. No monitor will produce this sort of colour unless it is faulty. Sunset pictures, broadly speaking, in this forum are routinely oversaturated. It can work but most of the time it is not adding anything to the photograph. This is of course my personal opinion but I can't get away from it. I am a realist and always will be. The desire to make a picture even more dramatic, colour wise, then it ever was at the time of shooting is something a lot of people find very hard to resist. Most sunsets, if correctly exposed, have enough strong colours you will ever need without ever having to give mother nature a helping hand.

I have colour corrected your image and I think you will agree with me that "mother nature" provided you with all the dramatic colours you will ever need.

I have also corrected the distortion and leveled the horizon. I would be very interested to hear what your reaction is.
Lastly, a fine picture such as yours is always worth experimenting with and then you can decide which one will hang on your wall.

Best regards
ah, getting into a very controversial subject. I'm always up for hearing the other side but in the end, I always pick the side that makes more sense for me. I like that you are a realist and enjoy less editing. The reason this is contravercial is because when I ask photographers, "what is a natural photo" I get varried results. "in Camera JPG" "In camera Raw with light contrast" "Raw with luminosity masks", "Raw image with a completely different sunset". I do love that there are so many styles and ways to think about a photo. I very much respect the "in Camera JPG"ers as well as the other end of the spectrum. So thank you for your critique. I like how you rely on "mother Nature" for your colors. Thanks again for your review of the image.
I will not going to tell you are the colours all right and etc, but, if you allow, I am just going to zoom a picture a little bit on the right so you could see from what angle I would shoot a picture (only clamshells are on the bottom (left)). I just zoomed picture in the tablet and pushed the PrtScr. For me, this picture (in its geometry and, therefore, simplicity) looks much better.
Hey, That is much more simple. It looks like a completely new image! While on this subject, I am with you, I should have maybe shot to the right or left with my 40mm xs 2.8. However this exposure took up too much time. Thank you for your crop and advice!
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
A lot of important elements of the picture are now missing.
Thanks for mentioning your opinion.
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I like the purple better. It balances with the yellow of the sun area. Changing it to blue loses that. When shooting color, we always have to remember the color wheel. It's okay to make it more blue, but not if we lose the orange.
True. Thanks for pointing that out.
Well, I wouldn't agree. I also took a PrtScr of the left side of the pictures but there are to many rocks which, in my opinion, are "killing" the softness of the blurry and softy water. In the other hand, right side of the picture doesn't have that, and gentle "waterfog" remains and is still strong. And still there is a part of the orange sky in the top of the biggest rock which add a tone more on the picture.
Bottom line, if I had to choose I would shoot the right side. Just like my edit of the pic. :-)
I did the same thing. I wasn't crazy about either left or right with this sunset, but in other conditions It might be different. Thanks again for your review

01-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
...I should have maybe shot to the right or left with my 40mm xs 2.8. However this exposure took up too much time.

I used to shoot sunrises all the time. Talked my mom into getting up and watching them at her house. She loved it, but was amazed at how quickly the peak colors vanished. Sunrises and sunsets seem like static subjects, but they're not. You really only have about a 5-10 minute window for the optimum time. And if you're doing 8 minute exposures... Not much room there for shooting multiple positions.
01-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I used to shoot sunrises all the time. Talked my mom into getting up and watching them at her house. She loved it, but was amazed at how quickly the peak colors vanished. Sunrises and sunsets seem like static subjects, but they're not. You really only have about a 5-10 minute window for the optimum time. And if you're doing 8 minute exposures... Not much room there for shooting multiple positions.
ha ha exactly. You know exactly what I'm talking about! ha
02-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #22

I must say that I think there are many beautiful aspects to the photo: the colors, the long exposure, the crispness of the rocks contrasted with the soft fog.

The element that could be improved is the composition. The current composition is very vertical, and the left right balance is a little off. The clouds have a strong horizontal from upper left to lower right, and bright yellow area of the sun has a lot of visual weight. This could be capitalized on by creating a strong diagonal from yellow sky down to an interesting object in the lower right corner. I think this could have been achieved by simply moving your POV a little to the left and pointing the camera a little right.

02-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
I must say that I think there are many beautiful aspects to the photo: the colors, the long exposure, the crispness of the rocks contrasted with the soft fog.

The element that could be improved is the composition. The current composition is very vertical, and the left right balance is a little off. The clouds have a strong horizontal from upper left to lower right, and bright yellow area of the sun has a lot of visual weight. This could be capitalized on by creating a strong diagonal from yellow sky down to an interesting object in the lower right corner. I think this could have been achieved by simply moving your POV a little to the left and pointing the camera a little right.
Thanks for your ideas on how to improve the image!
02-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos like this make me want to sell my (Samyang) 14mm
I like it a lot, except the horizon might not be straight (or its the distortion?). But great use of the ultra wide angle, long exposure, focus seems to be good, nice deep colours that fit the mood of the exposure..
02-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is an awesome picture. It has already been said earlier, and since I have a preference for 'S' curves due to my name, I would have experimented taking the picture a step or two from the left and trying to get those boulders give me as 'S' curve. But I am just a learner in elementary states right now, this picture is already miles high in the universe for me.
02-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One option to remedy the issue of the cropped rocks is to take three images and stitch them in post (I do this a lot with my 645 FA 35 lens). However if you rotate the camera/lens set up on the center axis of the body and not the axis of the exit pupil (a.k.a nodel point), you'll have really bad parallax problems in post. Shooting a bit loose also helps getting what you want out of your post processing.

FYI - fix any lens or perspective distortions and level each image before you stitch them together will help them fit better.

---------- Post added 02-09-14 at 12:24 PM ----------

I noticed you shot this at f/16 and I was wondering why f/16 with a 14mm since it's at its best at f/8? Did you hyperfocal focus or just focus to infinity? Using Depth of Field Master (Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster) it shows that you could have focused at 5 ft, set your lens to f/8 and got 2.24' to infinity in focus. What I don't know is how close you were to the foreground.
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Photos like this make me want to sell my (Samyang) 14mm
I like it a lot, except the horizon might not be straight (or its the distortion?). But great use of the ultra wide angle, long exposure, focus seems to be good, nice deep colours that fit the mood of the exposure..
Thanks so much! I will keep going in this direction. I was thinking about the Samyang actually and if it works for FF, I would buy it (now that they can have filters YEEAAAHHH).

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
This is an awesome picture. It has already been said earlier, and since I have a preference for 'S' curves due to my name, I would have experimented taking the picture a step or two from the left and trying to get those boulders give me as 'S' curve. But I am just a learner in elementary states right now, this picture is already miles high in the universe for me.
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. You mean to make an "S" out of the shadows and hightlights? Thanks for your input btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
One option to remedy the issue of the cropped rocks is to take three images and stitch them in post (I do this a lot with my 645 FA 35 lens). However if you rotate the camera/lens set up on the center axis of the body and not the axis of the exit pupil (a.k.a nodel point), you'll have really bad parallax problems in post. Shooting a bit loose also helps getting what you want out of your post processing.

FYI - fix any lens or perspective distortions and level each image before you stitch them together will help them fit better.

Yeah, okay. That should help me. Thanks for the idea.
02-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
Honestly man, I think this is a great picture. If I had taken it, I'd probably print it and hang it (or try to sell it). To critique it I'd say that for me (and I'm not great at landscapes) I think it's too "straight line up the middle." The large rock in the back ground is creating a straight line with the rocks in the foreground. I like TaoMaas idea of an S-curve.
In addition, it may be too purple but it creates good mood.
Again, had I taken this, I'd probably print it and hang it or even try to sell it! Great shot.