Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indian Beach Photo Critique
Lens: Pentax Da 14mm 2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Indian Beach ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F16 

Hey everyone, I did post another photo but I wanted to get two completely different opinions (not side by side) on my images. This shot was actually taken before my other image. I would love it if you guys could critique anything really. F/16 ISO 100 6minutes

Looking forward to your constructive critique.

Attached Images

01-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First of all, tones and colors are great!
Exposure, detail and sky are gorgeous.

But ( isn`t there allways a but?) some things could use some improvement
Most of all I`m having some trouble with your vertical composition.
The foregrond is too dominant and somewhat boring. By that I mean the pool has not enough interest to counter the dark and heavy visual mass of the boulders in the middle of the frame but at the same time it`s too big to be ignored.
Also, with this vertical framing you cut some elements in half. This gives me a somewhat cramped feeling while, to me, this image screams for a wide and horizontal POV. The boulders in the middle of the frame tend to create a second and more dominant horizon which IMHO disturbes the balance of the image.

I`m a little puzzled why you choose for portraitstyle framing? To me there are no strong vertical elements or lines that would benefit from this composition. Your emphasis seems to be on the foreground but I find the middle and the background much more interesting. Offcourse, this is the way of how little old me see things here, no disrespect or rudeness intended.

On a sidenote: there is a speck in the middle of the pool that attracks unwanted attention and the image looks a bit oversharpened. (but all that`s easily corrected in post).
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
The foreground is too dominant and somewhat boring. By that I mean the pool has not enough interest to counter the dark and heavy visual mass of the boulders in the middle of the frame but at the same time it`s too big to be ignored.

I agree with this. I can understand wanting to include all of the foreground pool, but there's not enough happening there and it's too subdued to warrant its prominence. It feels like the real meat of the scene is in the middle ground and background and you have to hop over the pool to get to it. All in all, though...another beautiful shot.
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The foregrond is too dominant and somewhat boring. By that I mean the pool has not enough interest to counter the dark and heavy visual mass of the boulders in the middle of the frame but at the same time it`s too big to be ignored.
Also, with this vertical framing you cut some elements in half. This gives me a somewhat cramped feeling while, to me, this image screams for a wide and horizontal POV. The boulders in the middle of the frame tend to create a second and more dominant horizon which IMHO disturbes the balance of the image.

I`m a little puzzled why you choose for portraitstyle framing? To me there are no strong vertical elements or lines that would benefit from this composition. Your emphasis seems to be on the foreground but I find the middle and the background much more interesting. Offcourse, this is the way of how little old me see things here, no disrespect or rudeness intended.

On a sidenote: there is a speck in the middle of the pool that attracks unwanted attention and the image looks a bit oversharpened. (but all that`s easily corrected in post).
OH MY GOSH!!! WHO ARE YOU!? This is an excellent critique! Thank you SO MUCH! These are all things that are floating around in my decisions when I shot and edited the photo!!! But seriously are you like a total pro? That was great advice. I did take some horizontal photos and I'll take a second look at them. I totally forgot to edit the speck out, but I was a little lazy and didn't edit it out. ha ha

But your advice has me looking at this image in totally different. Thank you so much for your advice, no disrespect or rudeness was taken when reading.

Thanks again for your great critique!

01-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I agree with this. I can understand wanting to include all of the foreground pool, but there's not enough happening there and it's too subdued to warrant its prominence. It feels like the real meat of the scene is in the middle ground and background and you have to hop over the pool to get to it. All in all, though...another beautiful shot.
Do you think if I used a polarizer and showed the texture, it would be interesting enough to leave in there? Maybe just find another pool of water! ha ha ha Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement.
01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
OH MY GOSH!!! WHO ARE YOU!? This is an excellent critique! Thank you SO MUCH! These are all things that are floating around in my decisions when I shot and edited the photo!!! But seriously are you like a total pro? That was great advice. I did take some horizontal photos and I'll take a second look at them. I totally forgot to edit the speck out, but I was a little lazy and didn't edit it out. ha ha

But your advice has me looking at this image in totally different. Thank you so much for your advice, no disrespect or rudeness was taken when reading.

Thanks again for your great critique!
Haha, I`m no pro, by no means. Just a n00b that read a book or 2 about composition because he is struggling with the same questions as you
I`m glad you found my opinions helpfull, cheers!

Do you think if I used a polarizer and showed the texture, it would be interesting enough to leave in there? Maybe just find another pool of water! ha ha ha Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement.
I think if the clouds were reflected in the pool it would have much more impact to the image.
01-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, I`m no pro, by no means. Just a n00b that read a book or 2 about composition because he is struggling with the same questions as you
I`m glad you found my opinions helpfull, cheers!

I think if the clouds were reflected in the pool it would have much more impact to the image.
I did this actually! how funny. I didn't think much of it. but I like your idea. Maybe I could photoshop a completely different sunset into the reflection. Would that add interest?

01-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Do you think if I used a polarizer and showed the texture, it would be interesting enough to leave in there? Maybe just find another pool of water!

I like TenZ.NL's suggestion of having the clouds reflected in the pool. A little more color in there would have made a big difference. With the scene "as is", it might also be a matter of lens selection. When you use a wide angle, things closer to the camera are going to take on more prominence. Taking a few steps back and shooting at around 18-20mm might have balanced the size of the pool to the the middle and background elements.
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't mind the framing, though my first instinct is to crop off about half the sand in front of the pool, possibly even to the edge or more.
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't mind the framing, though my first instinct is to crop off about half the sand in front of the pool, possibly even to the edge or more.
OKay, Good note, Thanks for your opinion!
01-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I like TenZ.NL's suggestion of having the clouds reflected in the pool. A little more color in there would have made a big difference. With the scene "as is", it might also be a matter of lens selection. When you use a wide angle, things closer to the camera are going to take on more prominence. Taking a few steps back and shooting at around 18-20mm might have balanced the size of the pool to the the middle and background elements.
Very good suggestion, TaoMaas. PoV/FoV are indeed important decisions when it comes to building a balanced image.
The polariser probably won`t help because it`s common use is to eliminate reflections

As for shopping in a different sunset: IMHO that wouldn`t work as it is very difficult to reproduce the colors and tones you captured here. You should go back there, hopefully this beach is close to your home.
01-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very good suggestion, TaoMaas. PoV/FoV are indeed important decisions when it comes to building a balanced image.
The polariser probably won`t help because it`s common use is to eliminate reflections

As for shopping in a different sunset: IMHO that wouldn`t work as it is very difficult to reproduce the colors and tones you captured here. You should go back there, hopefully this beach is close to your home.
Actually, It was a one time thing, the fog was just incredible. but I grew up in portland. Now I live in boise. I moved the WRONG DIRECTION! ha ha
01-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Inactive Account

IMUO you rendition and perspective are wonderful and I am not one given to quick judgement and/or subdued criticism. You photo viewed as a whole betrays a considered, purposeful and meaningful composition. It may be said that the white balance was off a bit. However it is doubtful anything could be done about that, given the ambient light and time of day. Keep up the good work. You have a great eye.
01-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

I agree with this. I think too much focus in the middle, with respect to the pond below, I prefer a little more sky.
01-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Ive just come to say .. its just a beutiful image

And if i was going to say anything else, its identical to all the above.
Focus is to on the dark rocks in middle.

Cloud idea would certainly restore balance, if they are in focus.
Love to see what you do with it, and better yet, HOW you solve it

Why not tutorialize it back, then everyone helps each other :P