Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quiet time
Lens: Kit 18-55MM Photo Location: Living room ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F5.6 

I seem to like darker images. It creates a more piecefull feeling. Here is my firts image at candle light. I noticed a blue-ish tint/refraction at the base of the flame - is there any way to fix it and what is causing it? Any advice/tips welcomed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi. Try it again without the chair in the background; maybe try with rug filling the frame. Overall, a nice effort.
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I wanted to use the ruffles on the rug to make the image a bit more dynamic. I think you are right, if the background is pitch black the visual appeal of image would have more impact. Thanks, will give it a shot!
01-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinno Quote
Thanks, I wanted to use the ruffles on the rug to make the image a bit more dynamic. I think you are right, if the background is pitch black the visual appeal of image would have more impact. Thanks, will give it a shot!
But what the heck so I know. Rule number one - satisfy yourself!

01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Quiet time

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
But what the heck so I know. Rule number one - satisfy yourself!
Yes, but we also need to learn from each other and try new things... makes the hobby a lot more interesting and satisfying.
01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like it.
Agree about the background.
Maybe a little more depth of field would allow the design on the front of the book to be in focus; it's kinda neat too.
The flame is supposed to be blue; you don't need to fix it: National Candle Association: About Candles - Facts & Figures
01-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Candle light

Thanks for the note on the candle - thought it was a type of light fracture effect, kinda like a rainbow.

Gonna try the shot again, maybe with an old style candle holder.

Thanks for the critique

01-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with the notes re: chair and depth of field.

I would also add to maybe try to warm up the little reflection on the spine of the book.
I assume there was a TV on behind you or something that caused those whitish reflections?

I personally think they work well to define the book rather than no reflection, but I think they'd be more cohesive if the reflection was a warmer colour like a yellow/orange/amber.

If it was a TV turn it off and put a lamp with a standard incandescent bulb there instead, the reflections should look much the same, but be the warm yellow of the bulb rather than the white/blue from the TV screen
01-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
TV - street lamp

Yes, I noted the blue tinge as well, figured it look like a TV light, but it was a modern type street light coming through the window; I agree it would be better with a warm yellow/orange glow - will remember it for next time!