Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Small Grave
Lens: DA 35mm f2.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Lexington, KY ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F2.4 

I am looking to get some critique on my photography now that I have been at it for a little while.

I got this shot at Lexington Cemetery in Lexington, KY. It was taken this past fall, and was actually the first time I went to a location with the only intention being photographing it.

I saw the grave surrounded by much larger graves and it really captured my attention.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by london.paul1; 01-09-2014 at 08:32 AM.
01-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's not a bad image. To me, the gravestones look a little too blue in this image
01-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photographyguy74 Quote
It's not a bad image. To me, the gravestones look a little too blue in this image
Yeah, I think I agree. Funny how you don't notice those things sometimes on your own shots. Good to have some outside eyes looking at our photos!

I can't remember if I did anything to the White Balance or if this was what came straight out of the camera. Here it is with the graves looking a lot more natural.

01-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lighting out there can be quite tricky when the trees are all leafed out. In the afternoon you may have even had reflected light from the big blue building.

01-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
The lighting out there can be quite tricky when the trees are all leafed out. In the afternoon you may have even had reflected light from the big blue building.
Yeah, it might have been. I looked through some other shots from the day and some are a bit too blue, but not nearly as much as this on was.
01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
I deleted the image with the overly blue tones that is referenced above from my Flickr feed so if you are thinking that the image doesn't look too blue, it is because that version isn't in this post anymore.
01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It appears to be overcast, but not completely. There are still some slight shadows and the grave faces that you photographed appear to be in shadow. This always creates a challenge as the color temperature of shadowed daylight is higher than direct (or in this case, diffused sunlight). You're dealing with multiple color temps just as you would indoors with combination lighting (incandescent & fluorescent, or natural and fluorescent, etc.).

01-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It appears to be overcast, but not completely. There are still some slight shadows and the grave faces that you photographed appear to be in shadow. This always creates a challenge as the color temperature of shadowed daylight is higher than direct (or in this case, diffused sunlight). You're dealing with multiple color temps just as you would indoors with combination lighting (incandescent & fluorescent, or natural and fluorescent, etc.).
This could be the answer for sure. It was a partly cloudy day, but there are a lot of large trees in that cemetery that could have caused the effect that you are talking about.
01-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jumping in to tis after the WB is fixed, so all I see is a great image! The size disparity is really eye catching. I like your you cut off the larger stones, really beings the focus in to the little one.
01-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Jumping in to tis after the WB is fixed, so all I see is a great image! The size disparity is really eye catching. I like your you cut off the larger stones, really beings the focus in to the little one.
Thanks so much for the feedback! The size disparity was definitely what caught my eye, and I thought that cutting the larger stones off would serve two purposes. Framing the smaller stone mainly, and secondly that the imagination would make them more looming than they even were in real life.