Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feeding the Birds in the Fog
Camera: Pentax MX-1 Photo Location: Hudson River Boardwalk, New Jersey ISO: 100 

It was very foggy over the Hudson River, and the water itself icy. This father and daughter were walking on the heavily fogged board walk. He appeared to be throwing food to the birds.

01-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very interesting shot. The shot is framed well and seems to have good focus, too.
Since it is the critique forum: I might try to play with the curves a little to increase the contrast in the dark areas, to create a "layers" effect of the different subjects being slightly different gradients of grey
01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Na. So, just to be sure. You think that I should darken the darks with curves to add more contrast. Is that correct?

Thanks for your feedback!
01-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the etheral look. I don't think the bird top right is enough to carry the right hand side of this photo and it feels rather redundant. I think a square crop would work well, I'd move the bird over too.

01-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

The first thing I thought of was a square crop, too - everything seems to be to the left here.

This is a really interesting shot, but the fog seems to almost detract from it. Or at least "hide" it. I think Na's suggestion to try to increase some of the contrast is worth playing around with.
01-16-2014, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Nice moody image. I might bump up the contrast a bit in the lower portion a bit to give a bit more weight to it and make it contrast more with the heavy fog in the top portion. As for a square crop that occurred to me too but after trying it I feel it makes it seem too crowded. I know there is just the one gull on the right but it gives it space and contrasts with the cluster of birds on the left. I like the framing as it is with the positions of the elements, also if you crop it you lose the water edge on the rocks which gives it a sense of place. If you crop it down it could be in a park or pretty much anywhere.
Regards
Greg
01-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, that is what I meant. Only to make some of the subjects more concrete. Its nitpicking, it won't change the photo much

03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll give it another try and see how it looks. I thought the 'etherialness' of it would be a plus, but it seems like it is worth some reconsideration.