Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
This sounds like a lot of work, especially as you need to get the 4 images to mesh properly. Is there no other way to minimize or at least reduce the distortion?
I personally see few alternatives. Photoshop/Lightroom and several other pro PP programs allow you to "correct" distortion, but it comes at a very high cost in terms of lost sharpness and image loss.

fortunately, if shot with a proper plan and a little practice, stitching images together is not that difficult. it's best to shoot in manual mode and vertically if you can (because you almost always lose portions of the top and bottom of the stitched images + the center image portions align much easier if you don't have a perfectly flat image field. I usually even switch to manual focus once everything is composed so I have consistent DoF and other variables throughout the panorama. and then once imported into PS, in my case, it takes about 3 minutes for the panorama to render. I may have to tweak things here and there by deciding on which stitching mode I want.

Honestly, getting images with that "wow" factor IS a lot of work. It takes practice, planning and effort to set yourself above the middle of the pack. it's why so few people (percentage wise) ever take their cameras off full auto or are just happy with P&S via their cell phone. If one only aspires to snapshot quality, then they might see the extra hour invested in set up and post processing as too much effort, and that's entirely a personal decision.

Photography is no different than anything else in life. One's images are a direct reflection of the amount of time and effort one puts into making them, as well as (some?) artistic talent.

02-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Hey, I did a little editing. The image is awesome. You have an eye for a good photo. I simply edited with luminosity masks. (From Tony Kuyper webiste and Chip Phillips videos)
I'll share the link to the PSD when it's finished uploading.
Thanks - I'd like to see what you come up with.
02-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowsonoureyes Quote
Thanks - I'd like to see what you come up with.
Here's the PSD
02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Take it for what it's worth (because this shot truly is really good and because I'm not a landscape photographer) but to me, the water fall is too "big." What I mean is that it takes up too much of the frame. Maybe consider a wider angle to shrink the waterfall and get more of the surroundings. This way, since the waterfall is the "brightest" part of the image, your eye will be drawn to a smaller section of the picture rather than to the whole picture. At the moment, the waterfall takes up most of the frame so your eye is drawn to the entire picture. It might be nice if the waterfall was slightly smaller so that your eye was drawn to a smaller portion of the frame. Does that make sense?

02-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowsonoureyes Quote
Just wanted to share this here to see what others may have done differently with this image.
Nice ...
04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Forum Member

good shooot
04-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luis garcia Quote
good shooot
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Nice ...
Thank you both for taking a look and leaving comments.

---------- Post added 04-02-14 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Take it for what it's worth (because this shot truly is really good and because I'm not a landscape photographer) but to me, the water fall is too "big." What I mean is that it takes up too much of the frame. Maybe consider a wider angle to shrink the waterfall and get more of the surroundings. This way, since the waterfall is the "brightest" part of the image, your eye will be drawn to a smaller section of the picture rather than to the whole picture. At the moment, the waterfall takes up most of the frame so your eye is drawn to the entire picture. It might be nice if the waterfall was slightly smaller so that your eye was drawn to a smaller portion of the frame. Does that make sense?
Thanks for your input. I've been interested in a wider lens for some time now but haven't made the purchase yet.

---------- Post added 04-02-14 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
That ones got a bit more punch for sure. I like it. Thanks for that.