Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Morning light
Camera: K200D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F2 

I'm playing with morning light indoor, kind of "studio" natural light. Not sure about aperture, it's a manual lens, no info saved, and I don't remember which I set, most likely f2, or 2.8.

It's kind of "painting" attempt, only with the lens. A bit touch ups, not much: NR, white balance, sharpening, crop.
So, what do you think? What to improve there?

01-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

Compostion is weak with the cup in the center. Try putting it on some of the strong composition points (the thirds) with the shadow creating a diagonal. U may try playing with low key contrasy effect in post processing, because the shot the way it is kinda lacks drama, if u know what I mean.
01-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muzicantini Quote
because the shot the way it is kinda lacks drama, if u know what I mean.
I think know what you mean, just don't know how get that drama. Need to shoot it again since I got all the shoots kind of center weighted.
Could you tell me please if I'm any closer to drama now? This one is not cropped.

01-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

The important thing is you to like it. I don't think this is much different, Try it again with different composition, maybe lower angleq I don't know, experiment.

01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muzicantini Quote
The important thing is you to like it. I don't think this is much different
Thanks. I liked it in LR, but it's different now, I see what you're saying.
I really appreciate your constructive advice, it helps.
01-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi
The cropped version is better but the subject is too centered. I'm guessing you liked the shadows. As for the subject I don't find the dirty cup a great subject personally. As for lighting it's rather dark and murky. The light in the background is a distraction, it's the brightest object and the eye keeps going there. I'd suggest cropping it down but putting the subject more to the right and eliminate the dead space on the right that happens when the subject is dead center. Cloning out the light. Since it has very little color I'd suggest a monochrome treatment. The nice thing about this kind of photography is that you can play around with different lighting and subjects until you get what you want. I did a quick edit to show what I mean and posted it here.
alternate edit of photo on right of photo by micromacro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Greg
01-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Greg,
It looks much better than mine, obviously. However, it was not the mood I tried to picture, it something completely different.
I need to practice more with the light, thanks!