Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Moon with clouds
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm Camera: K-r ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

This was my attempt after a bit of research on how to get a shot of the moon with clouds. It is actually 2 photos. I took 1 of the clouds on landscape mode (with the moon overexposed and slower shutter speed) and 1 of the moon with the above settings. I then took that moon and placed it over the overexposed moon to get this photo. In reality i would like to only take 1 shot to get this scene if i can so any advice on that would help. This was done without a tripod as i do not own one yet.

Attached Images

01-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

The technique with the two pictures is actually not that bad. The problem here is the composition. The mooon is in the center of the frame which is not very good in that case. And that tree is just... meh. Just play around with composition.
01-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
I didnt mind doing the technique for this shot, but when i look at the image afterwards i know its been altered and it stands out to me(it overlaps the tips of the branches on the tree and isnt quite perfectly round)...As far as the moon being in the center, thats something i will have to work on and try out. I did want the tree in the photo but it does seem like it would look better if the moon was in one of the upper corners. I think the good thing about taking the underexposed moon and overlaping the overexposed one is that the moon glow is still present in the photo which i think is nice.
01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The moon is generally too bright for this type of shot in a dark night sky. Timing can really help. If you take the shot closer to dusk or dawn, other elements in the shot are getting more light. Then you can balance the exposure better. Depending on your latitude, you may have to wait for the right season to get a full moon in the right sky lighting. Here is one example of what I'm talking about:

Other ideas:
Sometimes, just the right cloud thickness will dim the moon enough to get a good exposure on other stuff in the frame. Tough to plan for.
A graduated ND filter might work; I don't have one to try myself.

01-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thats a nice shot. The moon right this very second is that orange color but it is very dark out. Ill have to keep my camera ready for that right opportunity to get out there and get the shot.