Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Critique flower shot please

I am still learning to use my new DSLR. Took this picture at a garden near Charleston, SC. I am quite pleased with it. The lighting turned out rather nice. The flower was located in a rather dark area of the garden. Please let me know how I could have improved the shot. It has not been re-touched.
Thanks, Susan

04-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #2

Hi slowpez,

it is a nice photo and I love what you have done with the shadows. I think a little work in Photoshop or similar program will give your photo a little more impact - maybe it just needs a little work with contrast or gamma???

Cheers
Keith
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like your picture but before I would say you might want to try this or that I would want to see it as a larger pic than this. I just don't think it is fair to try and make suggestions when the pic is this small. From what I see I like it
04-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses. Sorry about the size of the picture rmtagg. I'm new at this and didn't realize I could post the larger size.
Keith, I took your advice and altered the pic in photoshop using the unsharp mask and levels. New at that kind of stuff too. Tried changing just the contrast but it just didn't look right.

Thanks to any and all who have helpful comments and critiques.
Susan

04-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the only suggestion I would have is to tweak the contrast a little. Very nice work
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This picture works well, in my novice opinion, because of the black background and the side lighting. your techniques was very good on getting the right amount of focus and not too shallow. I think it needs some minor adjustments in white balence and some reduction in the highlight of the front petal but excellent job.
04-17-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Flower shot just right!

Well done slowpez. The texture of the petals is great.

04-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree this is a great shot and should be printed and hung. Nice work. Could you share how you got it. I mean the lighting and how you got the background so nice and black if this was in a garden.
04-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, and placed perfectly in the frame!
04-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I really like the new camera and find I am struggling a lot getting things right but I do enjoy the process.
PatB. the flower was located in some underbrush next to a creek. The sunlight was just pouring through in that spot. I used my 200 mm zoom at 1/90 sec. and kept the aperature at F11. The dark ground did the rest.
Rosemary, I'll try tweaking the contrast a bit.
Sorry Weatherwise 2, but I just don't have the savvy to correct the highlight on the front petal. I'll hang onto the photo and, who knows, I may learn that technique eventually.
Again, thanks everyone for you assistance. I really appreciate it.
Susan