Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Ferry hook
Lens: Pentax DA* 55mm Camera: Pentax K-5 II Photo Location: Clinton-Mukilteo ferry ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F2.8 

I like the idea of the original, but feel the crop is better. Any suggestions for changing my position or working with the lighting to bring out more impact?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, so you have hooks on your boats? Definitely a step up from ours.

I see the appeal of the hook's form, but there are a few enhancements needed. The angle of the shot Is too obvious-- looks like you are shooting up at the hook, which feels like the same view one sees daily, so the raw interest is diminished. I also think the hook is too small within the frame--hard to tell what the subject of the shot actually is. While I like the reflections off the metal, the vibrancy and brightness can be upped for more impact. Color balance from those awful lights could be fixed too..

Speaking of which. . .the background is too distracting and obvious. What is the subject here?

M
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the tighter cropped one better but I usually like the tighter shot on most images. Here the first one has too much dead space at the top I feel. The white pipe draws the eye away from the hook. The tighter one looks more like a deliberate image compared to the first one. On the second one the lines lead in to the hook nicely. The POV to me is OK but I'd have to see other images at different angles to say whether or not there was a better angle to be had. The two problems for me are first there is a lack of sharpness on the hook, most of it is OOF. The screws look to be the sharpest but even they aren't really sharp. It looks like the POF was just a little too deep here. Stopping down a bit more and/or having focused a bit closer would have been better. The other thing that strikes me is the greenish yellow of the light or whatever clashes with other colors and draws attention, perhaps warming it up to match the warm tones of the wood would be an option. Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Greg
01-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. This was from a ferry ride to sell one of my lenses this past weekend. I was trying to avoid standing on chairs.

Still, your right, getting in closer and probably from a top down would be cooler. Further with the floor as the background, that's different than usual.

On post, I'm trying to keep it to balancing things out until I learn how to really do stuff. I like the idea of showing what the eye sees, but can understand how out taking out small bits that distract.

Ciao!