Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 01:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Street photo hints would be appreciated

Hi,

I am trying to get more into street photo and I am experiencing a steep learning curve.

This is what I am trying to do so far:
- Picking up an interesting geometry and waiting for people to show up - so I have a good frame when the time comes.
- Trying to get in close (in my case around 5-8 ft).
- Trying to use a wide to normal FL (I taped my zoom at 28mm/43mm equiv)
- trying to get people's faces in

I do know I am having trouble with having clean edges of my frame (people stepping in) and a little bit with getting close enough.
I am curious if you have any more hints based on those shots.

The lens was 16-45mm taped at 28mm. All of the shots are from 3rd Street passage in Santa Monica, CA.

Last edited by rrstuff; 02-26-2014 at 03:20 AM.
02-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really dont see anything I can pick at. Although I am not experienced in street photography. I really like the dramatic shadows and contrast. Ive sat here and studied your pictures and they are all very interesting, there are thought provoking elements in each one. I am at a loss to be critical here because I really like the shots...
02-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, j2photos, that's a good feedback as well. Thank you for taking the time! I am glad you like it. I've done a few of these shoots and I am trying to keep working on them. I like the fourth one the most of these. You can see a circle of empty space around the homeless man, but a few feet away the life continues as before, with people playing with their kids and shopping at expensive stores. Santa Monica has a lot of homeless and mentally ill patients - at least the weather in Southern California is kind to them here.
02-03-2014, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I like how each picture is telling its own story. When you look at the pictures you cant help but wonder what the people are thinking. One thing I can see that reoccurs in most of the picture is that so many people are slaves to their phones. I like the vendor in the 3rd one, its as if he noticed you then covered his mouth as if to hide a large amount of food in his mouth because you can tell his meal is in front of him. The last one by far is my favorite. I am drawn to the couple right in the front that are holding their phones up. I am drawn more towards their shadow, because it almost looks like they are synchronized holding their phones up for worship. In the picture before that I like the dog, he is just sitting there and to me his expression tells me he wishes his owner would put down the stupid phone...

Last edited by j2photos; 02-03-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: fixed miss spelling
02-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hahaa. that's true the dog did look angry.
02-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I really like all of these photos. The black and white is very effective and almost puts a critical light to the photos - unravelling the common street problems within. The issues explored are also great, and are definitely exemplified with the B&W - like j2photos mentioned the fact everyone is on their mobile like modern day society, the homeless man which is common in cities, as well as various relationships between people, and even the issue of overpopulation. I too am definitely no pro as I'm new to photography and haven't any experience with street photography, but I think you've done a really good job capturing these scenes. Well done and keep practicing your skills.
02-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ausmoose, I appreciate your feedback as well. I am pretty new to street photo but I would like to get better.

02-03-2014, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Thanks ausmoose, I appreciate your feedback as well. I am pretty new to street photo but I would like to get better.
Well, as they say, practice makes perfect. If this is you new then with more practice I'm sure you'll produce some really stunning shots! Really love the shadows here too.
02-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Well, as they say, practice makes perfect. If this is you new then with more practice I'm sure you'll produce some really stunning shots! Really love the shadows here too.
Thanks. The shadows are a pretty high black point, a bit of underexposure and strong whites, although I play with each shot. I think that Pentax orange filter for BW should give very similar results. Another way to get that look is go to Lightroom's 'bw look #5' (or smth like that), boost shadows and then boost whites and exposure a little, to taste.
02-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks. The shadows are a pretty high black point, a bit of underexposure and strong whites, although I play with each shot. I think that Pentax orange filter for BW should give very similar results. Another way to get that look is go to Lightroom's 'bw look #5' (or smth like that), boost shadows and then boost whites and exposure a little, to taste.
Cool. Might try out street photography sometime soon. There's so many different aspects of photography to explore!
02-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting set. On the third one I would have waited till the gentleman in the front walked out of the frame. Making the salesman and his cart the primary story .You also seem to be shooting thru a glass window. If you get closer to the window you should get fewer reflections that are prevalent in the top of the photo. Not necessarily bad that they are there,But some may find them distracting.
I would probably try a crop on the man and dog making it more o a portrait . I believe they are strong enough subjects to pull that off and not need most ofthe back ground.
I tend to use a bit of the longer end of my lenses so that I don't draw attention to myself . that way people don't tighten up or change what they are doing . They also don't stop and stare my way losing the moment , and or action. That said there are times I do get in close for a specific reason for the shot I want.
These are of coarse just my opinions .
02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Interesting collection. Not a style of photography I've tried so I don't feel I can add much to the discussion. The one suggestion I would make is to be aware of lighting hot spots. Your first image, for example, is dominated by the hanging bulbs and to a lesser extent the bright store in the background. I don't think you wanted those to be focal points.
02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I am trying to get more into street photo and I am experiencing a steep learning curve.

This is what I am trying to do so far:
- Picking up an interesting geometry and waiting for people to show up - so I have a good frame when the time comes.
- Trying to get in close (in my case around 5-8 ft).
- Trying to use a wide to normal FL (I taped my zoom at 28mm/43mm equiv)
- trying to get people's faces in

I do know I am having trouble with having clean edges of my frame (people stepping in) and a little bit with getting close enough.
I am curious if you have any more hints based on those shots.

The lens was 16-45mm taped at 28mm. All of the shots are from 3rd Street passage in Santa Monica, CA.
I just cropped the glaring lights from the first picture....
Attached Images

02-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote

Call me crazy but I liked the shot with the bulbs in it, am I missing something?
02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I'm usually a fan of cropping and think it is a cheap and effective way of improving an image by removing the negative parts. I'm not sure it works in this case. In the first image, the lights draw your attention to the items on the cart, and this becomes the focus of the image. The people are somewhat secondary. In the cropped version I just see a dark image without a focus. So the first version is the better image, but it may not have had the impact (on me) that you were trying to achieve in taking this sort of shot.