Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I don't really see how I'm being contradictory?
Why did I know this phrase was going to evoke a response?
Contradictory wasn't quite the right word. So I apologize.
What I was trying to get at is that whether you like the symmetry or would prefer it asymmetrical, the original image doesn't get either quite right. For either case, the OP should consider cropping - either to enhance the symmetry or to deliberately make it more asymmetrical. In my view both would push the image to following the rules - for example, if you are going to break the rule of thirds, do it in a deliberate, forceful way, and if you are going to use a symmetrical format like a square image, make sure the image has the symmetry to go along with that shape.

02-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

My take on it:

Too cramped a tonal range and reds and orange way over-saturated

Last edited by wildman; 02-17-2014 at 02:19 AM.
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
reds and orange way over-saturated
I was not game enough to say this because in the past I got flamed a few times for it.
I am no friend of over saturated sunsets in general. I guess people think it looks impressive.

(Now I will be flamed again)
02-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I was not game enough to say this because in the past I got flamed a few times for it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jrm1 Quote
Please be honest I appreciate any constructive criticism, no hard feelings.
The man sounds like a real adult who asked for an honest critique of his work so that's what I gave him.

02-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am no friend of over saturated sunsets in general. I guess people think it looks impressive.
I don't see the harm in saying it, as it seems like most of that sentence is your personal opinion, and there is lots of scope for debating what is oversaturated or not (as as I've learned from discussing other people's images, a lot has to do just with how different monitors are calibrated)
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The man sounds like a real adult who asked for an honest critique of his work so that's what I gave him.
I would never get "flamed" over what someone said about my pics, like MSL said everyone has a right to have an opinion. There are so many variables before a person gets to the point of printing out a photo it's simply impossible for every person to have the same opinion of the final result. I really appreciate everyones thoughts and honesty that have participated in this discussion!! I made a frame for the picture today, now I just need to settle on a final edit.
02-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrm1 Quote
I would never get "flamed" over what someone said about my pics, like MSL said everyone has a right to have an opinion. There are so many variables before a person gets to the point of printing out a photo it's simply impossible for every person to have the same opinion of the final result. I really appreciate everyones thoughts and honesty that have participated in this discussion!! I made a frame for the picture today, now I just need to settle on a final edit.
That's great, I wonder if you could be so good and tell us what your decision was in the end. I for one would be interested.

Best regards